LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TortoiseSVN Revision on Front Panel

Solved!
Go to solution

We are using Tortoise SVN here for source control. I'd like to pull the revision number into labview programmatically. I've googled around without much luck on this subject. Looks like some people have used the svn command to do it via command line, but I don't have straight svn at my disposal right now. Seems like there should be an easy way to accomplish this, but I'm having trouble. Has anyone come across a solution to this? I'm using the last tortoise client and labview 2010.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,326 Views)
Solution
Accepted by thutch79

We use the following code to grab the rev # from the hidden tortiseSVN files

2011-04-05_1241.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,307 Views)

Is it possible that a future version of SVN will put the version in a different place than nine lines after the file name? I have never tried but you may be able to create a vi that just asks svn for the version number. Maybe this could be done through a dll or ActiveX. Also this will not work if you export and deploy to a system without the svn folders. Maybe as part of the build the version could be queried and placed into a file. You would then read this file on startup and write it to the front panel. Just some thoughts.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,302 Views)

I got the command line version working, but what I don't like is it requires me to install a different version of svn to get the svn.exe program. I will try this approach (parsing the entries file). That seems like a much better approach and more universally implemented.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,298 Views)

yeah, it isn't the most robust approach, but it works right now with minimal effort. you can add some error handling to let you know if tortise changes the way they do things. this info is probably not mission-critical so it won't kill you if it is wrong

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,295 Views)

I use the attached subVI in my program's 'About...' dialog

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,294 Views)

I tried the file parse approach. It works fine. It doesn't give as much information as obtaining it from the command line, but it gets what I need (repo version and file version). Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,283 Views)