LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to run VI on FPGA crashes xtclsh.exe with exception code c0000005

Hey Fancy Folk,

Problem: I am trying to get a VI to get flashed onto a PXI 7831R.  When I go to run the code and flash the FPGA, I get a windows popup that says "xtclsh.exe has stopped working" during the flashing process.  I've tried googling around and I can't find much on the forums here related to xtclsh.exe and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to start searching for the solution.

Background:

I have a 32bit Win7 machine that has LV 2015 on it but also has 8.6 (full dev environment) AND 2023 RTE (installer for the 2023 code didn't need the FPGA stuff for the RTE).  When I first tried getting a sample FPGA program to read pulse width running, I noticed that the example program's project window had a yellow ! triangle and I couldn't select the PXI 7831R as a target.  I downloaded NI FPGA 2015 SP1 from NI.com and went to install that.  Rebooted the PC then tried to select the FPGA but it said I needed to install the Reconfigurable IO Drivers, so I downloaded the Feb and Aug 2015 drivers and installed Feb (still couldnt see the 7831R) then Aug (still couldnt see the 7831R).  The sample project still had the yellow ! triangle.

I figured there was something weird between LV 2015 and the FPGA module for 2015 SP1.  I uninstalled LV 2015 as best I could through windows, found the CDs for 2015, reinstalled 2015 with the FPGA module selected.  While installing the FPGA stuff, I got an error (didn't document it unfortunately 😕) with the Xlilinx toolkit installation and figured I'd just repair the toolkit once the installation finished.  Installation finished, rebooted the PC, and went to repair the FPGA 2015 module.  Put the discs in and repaired what I believe to be all the dependencies needed for the FPGA module.

I loaded up the sample project, selected the PXI 7831R, and told the code to run.  It popped up the FPGA complier services, the complier started running, and then I got a windows popup stating "xtclsh.exe has stopped working".  I said close program and waited for the FPGA complier to error out since I assume xtclsh isn't supposed to crash during the flash.  I then repaired the Xilinix tools specifically and repaired all the dependencies it told me I had to.  Tried again, and same error popped up.

Below is the text from the windows error message.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        APPCRASH

Application Name:                             xtclsh.exe

Application Version:                           0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:                     525ab0a4

Fault Module Name:                          libPersonalityModule.dll

Fault Module Version:                       0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:                 525aae47

Exception Code:                                  c0000005

Exception Offset:                                0000a8a1

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional Information 1:                  0a9e

Additional Information 2:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3:                  0a9e

Additional Information 4:                  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Below is the error message I am seeing from the NI complier

From the FPGA Complier

LabVIEW FPGA:  The compilation failed due to a Xilinx error.

Details:

ERROR:PersonalityModule:7 - Unable to open Xilinx data file for Vendor/Device

Module "virtex".  Please make sure that it has been correctly installed

before continuing.

FATAL_ERROR:StaticFileParsers:StaticAcdRead.c:640:1.55 - ACD file .acd does not

exists   For technical support on this issue, please visit

http://www.xilinx.com/support.

FATAL_ERROR:StaticFileParsers:StaticAcdRead.c:658:1.55 - Unable to load file or

override file "".   For technical support on this issue, please visit

http://www.xilinx.com/support.

INTERNAL_ERROR:PersonalityModule:baspmspec.c:1751:1.79 - Could not load

definition file <virtex.acd>

INTERNAL_ERROR:PersonalityModule:baspmspec.c:1751:1.79 - Could not load

definition file <virtex.acd>

What I've done:

As previously stated, I reinstalled LV 2015 and the FPGA module.  I have tried repairing all dependencies associated with the FPGA module as best I can.  I am assuming that when I am repairing the FPGA module, and specifically the Xilinix tools within the module, that the repair wizard would make sure everything is happy and files exist where they should.  

I have googled the windows Exception code and it looks like the problem is that the PC is trying to read/write to a memory address that doesnt exist.

I have also ran "sfc /scannow" and that came back saying everything is good.

My gut call says check "bitness" (32 or 64) of the modules and tools installed, but since I am using a 32 bit system, I am assuming the 32 bit modules and tools were installed.  

Should I reinstall LV 2015 again?  If so, is there a tutorial out there that shows how I am supposed to uninstall everything properly? 

Should I try to uninstall and reinstall the Xilinx toolkit?  I am not sure how I would specifically do that since I am assuming it got installed when I told the NI FPGA module to install.

What I'm looking for:

Honestly, anything to help me figure out what's wrong.  I am not sure what steps to take since the error code seems to be related to access memory that isn't there.   

Thanks,

Matt

Attention new LV users, NI has transitioned from being able to purchase LV out right to a subscription based model. Just a warning because LV now has a yearly subscription associated with it.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(123 Views)

Two comments:

• You mentioned 2023 RTE.  If you are going to the trouble of re-installing older versions of LabVIEW, I strongly recommend doing a complete Un-Install of all National Instrument software.  I always do this via "Control Panel" (go to the "Search box" in the lower right corner of the screen and type "Control Panel").  If you only have "old LabVIEW" installed, you will get a screen that allows you to remove everything, but if you've installed anything more recent than LabVIEW 2016, you'll get NIPM, which you must use to uninstall everything.  This might take several passes, be patient.  The last NIPM pass (if you are using it) is to remove itself.  Do not do any "manual" removal or "registry" cleaning unless you are prepared to re-install Windows!
  • You also mentioned a 32-bit version of Windows 7.  Are you sure?  In any case, be sure to install a 32-bit version of LabVIEW.  [I've been using 64-bit Windows for about a decade, but am still using 32-bit LabVIEW, though I may switch with my next "update" ...].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(68 Views)