LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Hub Problems

Solved!
Go to solution
We need to use a USB 6501 digital IO and a USB 6525 relay board but only want to have one USB cable running back to the computer.  For this application a USB Hub seems to make sense but I wanted to poll the NI audience and see if anyone has had any issues with using a USB hub to control to USB DAQ boards.  Any info at all will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,099 Views)

Three suggestions come to mind.

1) Make sure the hub is USB-2 since there is a big difference in speed.

2) Watch your power req's if the USB devices get their power from the USB.

3) Don't be suprised if you disconnect reconnect the hub and the device ID's change. Smiley Surprised

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 7
(5,097 Views)
I hadnt considered the fact that device ID's may change with a disconnect.  Do you think that a vi like the one attached will solve this problem?

Cheers!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,091 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jon_mcbee
Hello,

Yes, the code you posted should help if the devices get renamed.  Ben was right to mention power requirements for the USB hub.  Attached is a KnowledgeBase that recommends self-powered instead of bus-powered hubs.

Samantha
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 4 of 7
(5,054 Views)
Thank you very much for the link, I found it very useful!

Cheers
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,051 Views)

Hi Ben,

You mention 1) Make sure the hub is USB-2 since there is a big difference in speed.

I have a problem

I have a non-NI device (ie, meter reader) by USB to Serial Bridge and NI USB-6220 together with USB Hub (2.0). Will that be a problem?

I tried using NI MAX and can see comport and USB 6220. However,  either one will give error during the manipulation like send, receive, activate controls.

Please advise

Clement

Message Edited by astroboy on 10-06-2008 09:17 PM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,810 Views)

Hello,

I found some more detailed information in this KB about NI-USB devices with USB 2.0.  I hope this helps, however it seems the problem is related to the hub or the other device.  Please do some testing with the NI-USB to limit to cause.  Does the NI-USB device work on the hub without any other USB device?  Is the hub externally powered? 

Samantha
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,761 Views)