LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to locate LabVIEW RunTime Engine

Hello,

I have built an Installer for a program in labview. When I try to run the setup.exe file on another computer, I run into some issues. After the setup.exe file is run, a *.exe file is created with the program. When I try to run this program, an error appears stating "Unable to locate Labview 2010 Run time engine". Trying to troubleshoot, I found out that the Labview Run time engine folder (Program files/National Instruments) does not have all the required sections in the location they need to be in. This happens if the machine previously contained any National Instruments software/data. However, if I run the same process on a machine that has no National instruments software on it, it works correctly. Can anyone advise on what is going wrong here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(23,115 Views)

You might double check how the NI components were "removed" from the machine.  I have experienced similar issues when the user 'deleted' the files from the computer via Windows Explorer rather than 'uninstalling' them.  Deleting them does not remove/update the registry entries associated and can cause installation confusion.

Jason

Wire Warrior

Behold the power of LabVIEW as my army of Roomba minions streaks across the floor!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(23,113 Views)

Hello,

I have tried uninstalling the program but that does not affect the files created in the "program files" folder. All it does is uninstall the front panel I created throught the installer. Hence, I tried removing the files manually from the registry as well! It still doesn't work. Is there a reason why Labview doesn't install the Runtime Engine in the location it is asked to?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(23,095 Views)

You don't really give enough information to troubleshoot the problem.

I assume you are including the run-time engine as part of the installer. I also assume that LabVIEW 2010 is part of the "national instruments software/data" that is installed on the problem computer.

(I think there were some issues in some versions if somebody would install the minimum run-time engine on a development machine and later build an installer, but I don't remember the details.)

If you go to the software control panel on the various machines, are all the expected installed NI parts listed?

echelon123 wrote:

I have tried uninstalling the program but that does not affect the files created in the "program files" folder. All it does is uninstall the front panel I created throught the installer. Hence, I tried removing the files manually from the registry as well! It still doesn't work. Is there a reason why Labview doesn't install the Runtime Engine in the location it is asked to?

Are you on 32bit or 64 bit OS? IS your LabVIEW version 32 or 64bit? (remember, that on a 64 bit OS, 32bit programs are not installed in the "program files" hierarchy but elsewhere).

Overall, I am worried about your terminologies and believe there could be some fundamental misunderstandings. You don't install/uninstall a "front panel". The registry does not contain files, just keys (some with file names). Your willingness to hack through files and regsitry like a wild boar in a vegetable garden makes it very difficult to boil things down to a reproducible problem that can actually be analyzed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(23,086 Views)

I have a similar problem.  I have installed the LabVIEW 2010 Runtime Engine 64-bit and am trying to run a program

that needs it.  I get the error message that the computer was unable to locate it.  I went to MAX and it is listed.  I

went to Control Panels/Programs and "repaired" it and rebooted.  Still the same error message.  My computer is

Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  Several other versions of the runtime engine are there.  LabVIEW

FDS version 8.5 is also installed.  I have tried to tell the program to run in compatibility mode and as an administrator -

no help.  This program works fine on other computers that have 32-bit W7 OSs and the 32-bit version of RTE.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(23,016 Views)

Hello Halden,

It sounds like your application was compiled using LabVIEW 32 bit if you are able to run the program on a 32 bit operating system.  The description for the 64 bit run-time engine specifies that it will only run applications built using the 64 bit version of LabVIEW.  Have you installed the 32 bit run-time engine on your laptop?  Can you post the exact error message that your program displays when you run it?

Anthony F.
Staff Software Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 14
(22,995 Views)

Hi Anthony

Success!  I had no idea that the Std and 64-bit referred to the computer that had "built" the application.  I thought it referred to the computer that is running the application!

Thanks for the solution!
Halden 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(22,988 Views)

re. LabVIEW RTE versions

Yesterday I went to install the 32-bit LV version 2010 RTE on a 64-bit W7 computer because

the application I wanted to run had been compiled on a 32-bit computer, per the advice above.  

The installer refused to run, citing that the 64-bit version is needed.  So I installed the 64-bit

version, and the application ran fine.  So...maybe it's more complicated.  Sometimes you 

need the 64 and sometimes you need the 32, and it's not just the target computer or the

compiling computer.

Halden

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(22,889 Views)

Hi Halden,

The version of the Run-Time Engine that you need is actually dependent on the version of Labview that the application was written in. Any application that was built in 32-bit Labview requires the 32-bit RTE. Similarly, any application that was built in 64-bit Labview requires the 64-bit RTE.

You can run 32-bit Labview on both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems with no difficulty; however, you can only run 64-bit Labview on a 64 bit OS. 

Hope this is clarifying!

Best,

Dan N

Applications Engineer

National Instruments 

Message 9 of 14
(22,869 Views)

I am getting a similar error.

Application was built and run on W7 64 bit labview 2013 version.

Trying to run the .exe on another machine causes 'Unable to Locate the RTE. Need 2013 RTE'. This other machine is also Windows 7 64 bit( however has something from labview 2010 installed from past). I installed 2013 RTE on the top, but it does not help.

Do i need to uninstall the existing RTE ?

Also what s the folder path for the current RTE and what should be present there?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(20,867 Views)