cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use or not to use Teststand?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,
I am evaluating a Labview test program that uses TestStand. I have never used that addon. I myself have used labview basic and built a state machine when I wrote code for a production test.
In this case, two PCBAs are claimed to be tested more or less in parallel. However, it cannot be done in parallel the whole test as they use the same external multimeter and the same programming equipment.

Are there major advantages of TestStand over ordinary Labview code in small applications ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(299 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Shakti211

Hi Shakti,

@Shakti211 wrote:

I am evaluating a Labview test program that uses TestStand. I have never used that addon.

Some clarifications:

• TestStand is not an add-on to LabVIEW, it is a software on its own.
  • Usually you use LabVIEW routines from TestStand, not the other way around. (You can manipulate TestStand from LabVIEW, but that's not the typical use case.)

@Shakti211 wrote:

In this case, two PCBAs are claimed to be tested more or less in parallel. However, it cannot be done in parallel the whole test as they use the same external multimeter and the same programming equipment.

TestStand offers help in this use case as it allow to run the same test in parallel and even manages (or helps to) manage) device access for those parallel running tests.

@Shakti211 wrote:

Are there major advantages of TestStand over ordinary Labview code in small applications ?

For a "small" application I see no advantage of using TestStand.

But as soon as you use a framework for several testbenches (like integrating with production planning systems, using the same databases for test results, etc.) it might even work for "small testbenches"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(290 Views)

That clarifies a lot for me. The application in front of me uses Labview as a shell on top of TestStand.
Whether TestStand should be used or not probably depends a lot on whether you already have it in the house. In the case of larger production test facilities, one may certainly consider purchasing a TestStand.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(249 Views)

For a little more information: What Is TestStand? 

I have a mixed opinion on TestStand.  If you just use it as a test sequencer, it is great.  A lot of the test executive things you need is a simple configuration.  But there are a lot of configurations.  And if you want to customize something (report generator, UI, sequence model, etc.), it is a very deep hole.  It was designed to be the test executive for all test situations, which is why there are so many things in it.

With that said, TestStand does handle your exact scenario.  How it does it is beyond my capability with TestStand.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(226 Views)