cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Hierarchy Source code

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible at all too modify how the VI Hierarchy displays data.

Its a really helpful tool for debugging but I would like to use it in documentation as well. I'm sure most people will know, when you try and print the VI Hierarchy, it will show the complete project hierarchy, not just the direct hierarchy of a particular VI (Which is what I would like to see). Additionally to that, the way in which names are displayed in the chart can lead to it being unreadable. 

I'm basically asking, does anyone know the location off the code for the VI Hierarchy window (if it's available at all), and has anyone done anything with it.

Cheers,

Nik 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(851 Views)

@NikolaRistovski  ha scritto
:.. when you try and print the VI Hierarchy, it will show the complete project hierarchy, not just the direct hierarchy of a particular VI

Open only that particular vi to view it's hierarchy.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(832 Views)

For some reason you can't r-click the VI in the project and view the hierarchy, but need to open it and then choose view -> VI hierarchy. Maybe that should be a suggestion on the Idea Exchange or make a plug-in. 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(813 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NikolaRistovski

@NikolaRistovski wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible at all too modify how the VI Hierarchy displays data.

Its a really helpful tool for debugging but I would like to use it in documentation as well. I'm sure most people will know, when you try and print the VI Hierarchy, it will show the complete project hierarchy, not just the direct hierarchy of a particular VI (Which is what I would like to see). Additionally to that, the way in which names are displayed in the chart can lead to it being unreadable. 

I'm basically asking, does anyone know the location off the code for the VI Hierarchy window (if it's available at all), and has anyone done anything with it.

Cheers,

Nik 

@NikolaRistovski wrote:

There isn’t one! This is from the original days of LabVIEW when the ability of LabVIEW to call VIs as integrated editor Window wasn’t yet present. This entire Window is programmed in C in the LabVIEW core just as a lot of other things in LabVIEW

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(804 Views)

That's a shame but at least I got a quick answer. Thanks everyone for responding so quickly!

I found the openGDS toolkit which can reverse engineer UML code from projects, maybe that might be worth looking into for creating class hierarchy diagrams, but I'm not sure I could automate the process without quite a lot of work.

Otherwise, I can just manually create this documentation by doing as pincpanter stated and taking screenshots. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(768 Views)