LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI deployment slower with LabVIEW 8.6 compared to 8.5?

I finally installed my LabVIEW 8.6 dvds yesterday to upgrade from 8.5. I have full developer suite with Real Time to control a PXI embedded controller.

When I ran the vi's on the RT controller with LV8.5, they would take a few seconds to download from my host PC onto the PXI RT controller. Now that I installed LV8.6, it takes a LOT longer (~15-20 seconds) to deploy the VI to the target. It seems to get hung up on these two steps:

- Checking items for conflicts. This operation could take a while...

- Preparing items for download. This operation could take a while...

It seems to take longer to run the vi's on my PC as well.

Why does it take so much longer with LV 8.6?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,035 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post and I hope your well today!

I noticed you haven't received any support as of yet. 

In theory you shouldn't see any differences (as I understand it) between deployment between 8.5 and 8.6. 

Could you please tell me more about details about the application your deploying and details on your exact hardware setup is.

I have seen a previous CAR (corrective action request) regarding a similar issue:

"I just tried a PXI target (8170) with no NI Scan Engine installed and I found the Run of a VI takes quite some time to deploy;  This seems a lot slower than 8.5.  I think we are doing some redundant checks to see if NI Scan Engine is installed even after we have done Connect and found out it's not installed."

Are you using Scan Engine?

Please let me know,

Kind Regards, 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,006 Views)

Thanks for your reply, Hillman. The attached screenshot shows the details of my PXI-8184 setup. I am not familiar with NI Scan Engine so I assume I am not using it.

My application in its most basic form runs a PXI-6229 DAQ to aqcuire a few voltages. These are then written to a shared network variable which I read on my PC that is connected to our network. Both VI's (the "acquisition" VI on the PXI RT target and the "reading" VI on my PC host) take a long time to deploy.

I also use a PXI CAN card to control 5 motor controllers. The only error that I had in my project after upgrading to LV8.6 was that my CANOpen library was still in my LV8.5 folder, so there were errors that said it couldn't find the files because it was looking in the LV8.6 folder. I copied the CANOpen library to the LV8.6 folder and fixed the links using the "Resolve Conflicts..." icon. Now I don't get any errors, it just takes a long time to deploy (even when I'm using VI's that don't use CANOpen, such as my example above).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,997 Views)

Hi,

Thanks, sorry I was in a meeting this afternoon.

I will look into this a little more tomorrow!

I have had one thought:

go to vi properties>>execution and deselect all non essential components...

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,978 Views)

Wild guess....

Have all of the VI's been saved as LV 8.6? Recompiling for the new version will add time.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,976 Views)

Ben,

Is there a way I can check whether the VIs are saved as LV8.6? Or recompile all VIs in a project as current version?

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,972 Views)

Sorry I'm not at a LV machine but I think "ctrl-shift-RunArrow" on the thop level VI will force a recompile. otherwise search for mass compile.

That's the best i can do from memory.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,969 Views)

Thanks for all of your help, guys.

I mass compiled all of my VIs but it didn't make any difference. It still hangs for about 5 seconds on each of those two steps during deployment.

Since I am not changing the VI, is there a way to download it to the PXI and just run it, instead of having to deploy it every time I click the Arrow?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,962 Views)

Hi,

Did you try properties>>execution and deselect all non essential components?

Coudln't you just run the code automatically on boot-up?

I have done some more research but still can't find anymore advice regarding why it would be slower in LV8.6.

Let me know what you think,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Message 9 of 11
(2,937 Views)

I went to properties>>execution but I don't see anything that I would label "non-essential". That also doesn't solve the problem of why it worked just fine before I upgraded to LV8.6. The VI's run just fine once they are running, the slow part is the two steps in the deployment where it hangs for a while.

I could run the code automatically on boot-up, but the code isn't exactly done yet. If it was, and I wasn't starting and stoping it often, it wouldn't matter to me that it takes longer to deploy the code.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,912 Views)