LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Serial: Setting DTR State and RTS State to "Unasserted" solves RS232 communication issue; why?

Solved!
Go to solution

Some widget had inverted hand=shaking lines that were asserted when low.

Just guessing.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,403 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author onnodb

I've been in touch with Zaber's technical support, and the conclusion is as follows.

Indeed, the Zaber linear actuators use pin 4 (DTR) to share power between multiple daisy-chained actuators. In our case, the Zabers are connected to the PC like this:

ZABER ==[mini-DIN]==> mini-DIN to serial adapter ==[serial]==> serial-to-USB converter ==[USB]==> PC

The culprit here is the "mini-DIN to serial adapter". It turns out that Zaber uses a custom adapter, which does not connect pin 4 through. In our case, someone put a generic adapter in place, which does connect pin 4 through, leading to the problem described in my post.

Problem solved; thanks a lot for your help!

Science & Wires — a blog on LabVIEW and scientific programming
http://scienceandwires.com
Message 12 of 13
(1,372 Views)

Thank you for the update (feel free to mark your post as the solution!).

I'm glad you found an appropriate fix.

It is hard as he#$ to fix a hardware problems with software.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,367 Views)