LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very large values from accelerometer

Hello,

I did a small impact test in the lab, and recorded the acceleration. But I got very large peak numbers, like 300g, which is unreasonable. My vi has been checked by many people, seems like no problem. Does anyone have the idea why I got such big numbers?

Thanks.

Yuan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,717 Views)

Yuan,

Why do you think the values you reported in your other thread are unreasonable? 200-300 g does not seem out of line for impact of one steel object against another.

What are the sizes and shapes of the objects involved? How is the accelerometer attached to the object? What is the range of motion and speed of the objects before impact? Is there any damping?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,713 Views)

Also, the material(s) of the objects.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,684 Views)

If an object falls at 1m/s and is stopped over 1mm (little deformation):

s=v*t

v=a*t

v=a*s/v

a=v^2/s

a=1^2/0.001=1000m/s ~100g

So, how much deformation does two metal balls or two marble balls display when impacting?

It is good food for thought, as a rubber casing, adding just a couple of millimeters will do a lot for the G forces!

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 4 of 17
(3,648 Views)

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. The speed of  the impactor is about 305in/s, and the impact duration is about 0.1s. The acceleration should be much less than 200g. In vi, I set the minimum and maxmium value as -250g and 250g, which are the measurement limits of the PCB accelerometer I used. This morning, I changed the range to -20g-20g, I got much smaller peak values, like from -25g to 25g. Then I found that every time when I tried to change the input range, my results changed accrodingly, the peak values are pretty much around the input range. Apparently, this is also not what I want. I was wondering why this happened?

Thanks.

Yuan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,560 Views)

Can you double check your sensitivity and sensitivity units?
If you don’t have correct sensitivity value that would make big difference.
Hope it helps!

-lvABC

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,552 Views)

Can you double check your sensitivity and sensitivity units?
If you don’t have correct sensitivity value that would make big difference.
Hope it helps!

-lvABC

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,551 Views)

It would be helpful if you describe your hardware, DAQ , (signal-conditioner with setting) , sensor

and please post a link to the spec-sheet of the sensor and (if you have) the individual sensitivity (cal) value(s) of your sensor. (in metric if possible 😉 )

Now read the input voltage at a high sample rate (you can use one of the example vi's ) . If you have a pulse in the diagram hit edit-make current values default, save as a new vi and post that vi.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,506 Views)

Yes, I double checked the sensitivity and the unit

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,449 Views)

Hi, Henrik,

The hardwire I am using is NI SCXI-1001, the module for accelerometer is SCXI 1531. I use DAQmx 14.1 version, the accelerometer is 353B01 from PCB.

The following link is the sepc-sheet of the accelerometer: http://www.pcb.com/Products.aspx?m=353B01, the individual sensitivity of the sensor  is 19.25 mV/g (1.963 mV/m/s^2). I set the sample rate as 10k HZ.

Please check out the attached vi.

Thanks.

Yuan

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,444 Views)