LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can LAbview do with a USB webcam?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there, I was wondering if someone can help me with my senior project.

I am planning on purchasing the NI Labview Remote Panel.

i want to be able to control Labview remote panel through the web.

Is it easy to build the NI Labview Remote Panel application on my own? I am still in college.

or I can buy the NI Labview Remote Panel application for $309 and use the applications to  control my labview software through the web.

in that case, I was planning on  writing a software to take USB camera and post it through the web.

what can i do with the usb camera?

can I change color? hear audio? is there anything that you guys can suggest me on doing if I get it to work with the web? 

Please help...

Thank you in advance..

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,410 Views)

Irene He (of LAVA fame) has drivers together for web-cams, see here.

[OT - Free Idea - Implement it and get rich!]

This hit me over the holiday. I believe if we developed an app that let an owner of a cell phone retrieve its GPS location via a web-site, it would be very helpful in find cell phones when misplaced. As an added bonus, accessing the camera of the cell phone may also help even if it only confirms it is in a purse or pocket somewhere.

Then offer the service at a low monthly fee and you'll be rubbing elbows with Bill Gates before you know it. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 9
(5,393 Views)

Ben wrote:

Irene He (of LAVA fame) has drivers together for web-cams, see here.

[OT - Free Idea - Implement it and get rich!]

This hit me over the holiday. I believe if we developed an app that let an owner of a cell phone retrieve its GPS location via a web-site, it would be very helpful in find cell phones when misplaced.

Someone already has: http://www.accutracking.com. Not sure if they're chummy with Bill yet. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
(5,381 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Someone already has: http://www.accutracking.com. Not sure if they're chummy with Bill yet. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks mercurio! 

I'm glad they didn't have those when I was a kid. I would have caught more grief earlier and my mother would have had to come up with another way to use my siblings. 

They are marketing that product all wrong! Instead of selling as a way to spy on your kids it should be marketed as I described.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 9
(5,377 Views)

hmm, so lets say that i can get the web cam to work with labview vision.

what other cool things can i do with my webcam?

off topic.

lets say that i wanted to do that GPS cell phone idea.

what must I do?

how do i send signal from my cell phone to labview?

how would labview gets the information and know its GPS position?

the app seems like its hard to do..

i think the web cam idea is alot easier. 

i just want to get a grade and not be rubbing elbows with Bill gates..

Best regards,
Krispiekream
Message 5 of 9
(5,368 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author krispiekream

Ok back to the topic.

A clasic exercise would be change detection like detecting an object moving for security etc. Expand on that and save images frmo when motion was detected. Another step farther, subtract the background from the moving object and present a sequence of images of just the object that moved.

Too exotic?

Dumb that down to a manually initiated process to do a "Whats new?" It compares a before and after image and shows you what changed.

Ben

Message 6 of 9
(5,315 Views)

Have you ever looked at GeoFence?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 7 of 9
(5,305 Views)

thank you BEN for getting back to the subject. Smiley Wink

i think my professor might approve that type of project.

i hope its not too hard and not too easy..

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,276 Views)
there is also www.iTag.com, a web site that will track your gps phone.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,244 Views)