LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why "Limit maximum instances of this event in event queue" in the Edit Events Dialog Box?

Solved!
Go to solution

Great to see that this got implemented for UI events.  Anyone know why this was not added for user events, however?

I want 4 different different UI events (cursor move, index value change, arrow key down and repeat) to do the same calculation (which takes ~15 ms).  Why so many?  Well, sometimes I want to change things while looking at the data (cursor move), other times I want to do a "no look" change (keyboard).  The index control is more discoverable for my users, but arrow key is what I prefer to use for a no-look change.  Arrow key is extra handy because there's no need to set the focus to the index control first.

Each event fires the same user event, which actually does the calculation.

I can limit each of the UI events to 1 event in the queue each, but this doesn't help at all.  There is no option to limit the number of items in my user event queue.  My UI events process quickly, piling up a ton of stale work for my user event.  I'm using LabVIEW 2015.

I plan to either use the nice workaround from altenback (thanks!), or perhaps ditch user events for this problem, and write to a hidden control to fire the "user event" (in UI event clothing).  The hidden control will be a cluster...same info as is in my user event today.  As a bonus, using a hidden control also removes the need to  create a user event, register the event, wire both of these around my diagram, and destroy the user event.

Any plans to add a maximum user event queue size?  I understand not having the "Lock panel (defer processing of user actions) until the event case completes" option.  User events aren't tied to a particular front panel.  But user events certainly have a queue.  As this discussion clearly illustrates, having the ability to limiting the user event queue size is highly desirable.

Message 11 of 12
(1,080 Views)

There are work arounds involving looking at the queue size and disregarding things if there are multiple events waiting to be processed.  But I agree that would be a nice feature.  If there isn't an idea on the idea exchange you should add one.

Message 12 of 12
(1,076 Views)