cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Registry VIs taking a very long time to execute

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm currently trying out a new bit of code based on interacting with the registry. Much to my dismay, many of the VIs in the Windows Registry Access VIs Pallette take on the order of ~5000ms to execute. By contrast, similar .NET code takes ~100ms.

Is there a simple configuration issue I'm missing here? I know that the LabVIEW DLL interface is not that expensive, as I've used it many times for various projects.

registry slow.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,274 Views)

What OS are you using?  I can see you're on LabVIEW 2013 from the snippet.  Is it 32 or 64 bit?

I ran that exact code on my PC and it ran way faster:

Kyle97330_0-1607553127601.png

7 ms for the first call, the others were trivial.

It might be because I've got more modern installs (LabVIEW 2018 32 bit, Windows 10) or it could be you have different information in your registry that somehow makes it take longer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,248 Views)

This is a 32-bit install on Windows 10. Glad to see it works fine on other machines, gives me hope that it could be fixed with a simple LabVIEW upgrade.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,244 Views)

Yes, if you check this page:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/compatibility/17/labview-and-microsoft-windows-compat...

You can see that it's not until 2015 SP1 that Windows 10 compatibility was officially introduced into LabVIEW.  I can't guarantee it will work of course, but I'd definitely try a new version before anything else if that's an option for you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,235 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ijustlovemath

So, this is silly. I had been debugging this earlier and never turned off highlight execution for one of the sub VIs. Now runs in under 100ms, which is plenty fast for my purposes.

Can work with this language every day and still make silly mistakes I suppose!

Message 5 of 6
(1,223 Views)

@ijustlovemath wrote:

So, this is silly. I had been debugging this earlier and never turned off highlight execution for one of the sub VIs. Now runs in under 100ms, which is plenty fast for my purposes.

Can work with this language every day and still make silly mistakes I suppose!

LOL - who hasn't done this?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,218 Views)