ni.com is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing thesis using Labview developed software

Solved!
Go to solution

Good Aftrnoon.

My Masters thesis is based on developed software using Labview.  Can anyone suggest the best way to write up the main sections?

For example, how to go about describing the general experimental flow? My ideas were to use flow-charts, taking  Print Screens of labview code and describing what each of subVIs does. Anyone had experience in that area?  Or if you can share a thesis based on writtten LabView program, it would be ideal for reference. Thank you in advance

Kiryl 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,696 Views)

I wouldn't do it like you describe. That's what API reference and LabVIEW help are for.

You have a lot to cover before your start with the functions.

Things like the difference between dataflow and imperative programming.
The free parallelization that you get from this.
How commong programing paradigms are represented in labview (flow of control, constants, values)
Design decisions for LabVIEW, and what theirt advantages/disadvantages are.
How inputs and outputs differe from normal languages

SubVIs, modularizarion and code organization

What are the limitations and advantages of VI files.
The problems of "each wire is a copy".
OOP in LabVIEW

The "bad" side of LabVIEW programming.

After you cover all of that and whatever a forgot to mention, I would give a couple of examples, if the thesis still seems incomplete.

Mr, Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,684 Views)

Thanks Miki,

I will have a look at suggested topics.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,679 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Kiryl

If your project markers are not familiar with LabVIEW, then frankly they shouldn't be supervising a LabVIEW project. 

In the same way you wouldn't be expected to literally print the whole codebase of a project done in a written language, you dont need to go into the same level of detail with a LabVIEW project. 

You can document your code with system flow charts, Annotate snippets of interesting bits of code, write pseudo code to illustrate functionality, 

(3,671 Views)

Thanks Ad,

that what I had in mind: to document interesting bits of code and skip all the routine. Pseudo code idea sound very interesting. 

I belive submitting a disk with all LabiView VIs along with printed copy should be a solution if anybody gets interested to get deep into reading.

Kiryl 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,662 Views)