LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone following gRPC-LabVIEW ?

According to the lastest roadmap I could see (https://www.ni.com/content/dam/web/pdfs/test-workflow-roadmap.pdf)

gRPC is being worked on, great!

It seems to be active on the NI's GitHub repo here : https://github.com/ni/grpc-labview/

but the package available on https://www.vipm.io/package/ni_lib_grpc_labview is pretty old -  Nov-2021 - and although it's pretending to support Linux desktop, it has some blocking bugs.

A pull request was created in august to make the Linux VIP usable (just a handful of VIs changed), but it hasn't answered by NI, so we still have to build our own VIP to use gRPC.

Is anyone using gRPC on Linux?

We, at Zaphiro, are using it and we'd love seeing a bit more enthusiasm from NI.

Cheers

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(839 Views)

The latest VIPs are available on the Releases page.. They have been updated constantly. The last release was on Sept 20.

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(806 Views)

I'm just putting out that NI very much cares about gRPC because they are depending on it for much of their latest technology, especially MeasurementLink.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 7
(801 Views)

Not to sidetrack the thread but could you explain exactly what you get with gRPC? NI's marketing stuff mentions a lot about microservices, distributing tasking, etc. but it all seems a little abstract to me right now. I'm a sucker for shiny new features but I can't come up with anything I do that sounds even remotely similar to what this offers, but then again, I'm not exactly sure what it offers 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(777 Views)

ni/grpc-device: gRPC server providing remote access to NI device driver APIs. is the most common use case I have seen.

See How to use gRPC with NI Software and Hardware

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
Message 5 of 7
(769 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

Not to sidetrack the thread but could you explain exactly what you get with gRPC? NI's marketing stuff mentions a lot about microservices, distributing tasking, etc. but it all seems a little abstract to me right now. I'm a sucker for shiny new features but I can't come up with anything I do that sounds even remotely similar to what this offers, but then again, I'm not exactly sure what it offers 🙂

gRPC is an open standard that is widely supported by many languages.  The main purpose of it is to have microservices (think tiny executables) that can use this standard to talk with each other.  I think it can also be used for network communications.  For most of us, it is probably not useful.  But this is the standard being used for MeasureLink and TestStand if you want to develop custom measurement services.

But I will state that I have not tried gRPC yet.  I know there are many who have and like it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 7
(763 Views)

@ZYOng  a écrit :

The latest VIPs are available on the Releases page.. They have been updated constantly. The last release was on Sept 20.

Ha, I had missed that... it would have been nice if they updated vipm.io

so most of the bugs have been fixed, but one is left, I guess we'll create a new PR on GitHub.

Thanks!

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(740 Views)