Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backsaved VI not loadable

Solved!
Go to solution

Labview 2009

Windows XP Pro SP3

AT Easy 7.0 build 142c

I discovered this issue trying to port my application from my development machine to the application machine.  The application involves using AT Easy's internal VI function call to run VI's in a run-time environment.  However, AT Easy does not support LabVIEW2009 yet, and I had to backsave my VIs to 8.x

When I try and open the backsaved VIs through AT Easy I get the attached error message.  This happens on both the development PC and application target.  When I use the v9.0 vi's AT Easy opens LabVIEW development or gives a vi version not supported error.

Is there a known issue with 2009's backsave function?  Unfortunately I do not have access to an copies of 8.x to open and resave my vis in.  Even my test vi doesnt work, and that is a numeric input directly connected to a numeric output.

Thanks for the help

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,007 Views)

I am assuming you used the Save for Previous Version menu choice to backsave the vi.  When you do that, it saves the vi to a new folder.  In that folder, the vi has the same name as the version 9 vi.  Did you perhaps code the wrong path to ATEasy?

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,998 Views)

Could you tell a little bit more about 'AT easy'?

I can see how this can go wrong, when a VI is backsaved, only the source part of VI is saved, not the compiled code.

Normally I would expect a  'The full version of LabVIEW is needed to resolve this' error message.

I think that it should work after recompiling the VI in a LabVIEW dev environment.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,996 Views)

ATEasy is like a poor man's TestStand.  It is a test executive or a sequencer.  You tell it which step (vi) to call.  I think it was originally intended for calls to VB and C code.  It was later adapted to handle Labview VIs.  Evidently, it was not updatd to handle LV2009 code.  However, if one were to save for previous version, like 8.5, and then modify ATEasy code to point to the newly saved vi, it should work.

ATEasy is a product of Geotest Inc.  They have a system to report problems, similar to NI's tech support, called Magic.  Go to Geotest's website and look for the Magic link on the left side.  You have to sign up as a new member, then you can post your problems.  Someone at Geotest will respond to your request.  You can even ask that they start supporting LV2009 code, and soon to come LV2010 code.  They have a knowledgable tech support staff, one person I believe, but he is good.  So you may not get a fast response.  But you will get one for sure.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,984 Views)

Thank you for the fast responses.

Yes, I did use the "save for previous version"  command and recognize it saved into a new folder.  I saved the VI's as 8.2; 8.5 and 8.6.

I actually removed all NI software from the application machine.  Than I began installing the various RTEs one at a time.

With only the LV8.2RTE installed -  the 8.2 vi gave me the load error listed above.  The 8.5 and 8.6vis gave me an incompatible version error.  Next,  I installed the LV8.5RTE and similarly the 8.2 and 8.5 vi's gave me the same error and the 8.6 was recognized as an incompatible version.  I installed the LV851RTE and got the same result.  Finally I repeated the same test with the LV8.6RTE and LV8.6.1RTE.  Once all the versions of RTE were installed all the vi's returned the posted error message.

Tomorrow I will try some VIs I have from a previous life to try and determine where exactly the conflict is.

Other info:

The AT Easy example vi's did run (with the appropriate LV RTE) but they are v7.0.

I downloaded AT Easy 8.0(beta) which is supposed to support Labview 2009 but did not have the opportunity to test it.

Of the vi's I have written the only ones that worked were v9.0 AND being called with the LV Development environment installed -  I believe AT Easy was actually opening LV in the background to run these.

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,970 Views)

Whoever wrote ATEasy could have done a better job proofreading their dialog boxes before releasing the software.

"Unabled to open VI File ..."

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,963 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author adambe

The back-saved VIs miss compiled code normally present inside a VI.

A program like AT Easy cannot run these VIs because the RunTimeEngie does not have the LabVIEW compiler present.

What you need to do is  open the VI with LabVIEW and save.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,958 Views)

Ton,

You appear correct.  Old VIs I had from a previous life did indead work in the Run-Time environment when called by AT Easy but nothing that was created in LV9.0

My solution is to run the AT Easy 8.0beta.  My LV2009 VIs do indead work with this setup.

Once again thanks everyone for your help on this matter,

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,940 Views)