cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO not Detected in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution
Hello,
I'm totally new to NI and LabVIEW, so I may have done many unnecessary steps or missed something obvious, but here's the rundown (what I can remember) of what I tried:
I'm trying to make a cRIO-9073 (newer revision, IPreset switch does not reset IP to 0.0.0.0) work with LabVIEW 2011 SP1 (includes MAX 5.1.0f0 and NI-VISA 5.1) installed on Windows 7 Professional SP1 using a crossover ethernet cable.  MAX does not recognize the cRIO in the Remote Systems tab.  After initial problems, I was able to locate 2 IP addresses corresponding to the cRIO, but its still does not appear in MAX.  I have tried the following:
  • refreshing the list using F5, rebooting the cRIO, and using the IPreset switch
  • reinstalling drivers on the computer using September 2011 NI System Driver Set CD
  • manually adding the a new remote VISA system in MAX (tells me that a device is already using that IP address)
  • manually adjusted the LAN settings in the Windows control panel and disabled DHCP
    • edited Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
    • manually set IP address and local subnet mask to match the cRIO settings
  • Added exceptions to the Windows firewall
    • NI-RIO RPC Server
    • VISA Interactive Control
I think that the software and/or drivers on either the computer or the cRIO may not be up to date or compatible with the rest, but I'm not too sure on how to install software on the cRIO if I cannot see it in MAX.  Any ideas?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(10,829 Views)

Hi,

Did you try to boot it in savemode too?

Also grant Access for Measurement and Automation Explorer in the Windows Firewall.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(10,820 Views)

Have you tried connecting with all other network connections (wifi, bluetooth) disabled?  Might require a reboot.  We have seen MAX have trouble finding devices that are not connected via the only network connection.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(10,809 Views)

To add the device manually you need to select "Remote Device (not on the local subnet)" not "Remote VISA System". The cRIO should try and default to a link local IP address (169.254.x.x Range) if it can't communicate with a DHCP server. This will likely be the case with the cRIO connected directly to the computer.

If your computer isn't on an agreeing IP and subnet mask its likely that the cRIO wouldn't show up unless you add it manually. You don't want to set them up as the same as the cRIO as they need individual IP addresses. I would recommend setting the subnet masks the same and adding one to the last number of the cRIO's IP address, which should allow it to show up in MAX.

Very useful document for this kind of a situation: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/abe4bc247e8ac9bc8625734e005cab42?OpenDocument 

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(10,800 Views)

@Zach-H wrote:

To add the device manually you need to select "Remote Device (not on the local subnet)" not "Remote VISA System". The cRIO should try and default to a link local IP address (169.254.x.x Range) if it can't communicate with a DHCP server. This will likely be the case with the cRIO connected directly to the computer.

If your computer isn't on an agreeing IP and subnet mask its likely that the cRIO wouldn't show up unless you add it manually. You don't want to set them up as the same as the cRIO as they need individual IP addresses. I would recommend setting the subnet masks the same and adding one to the last number of the cRIO's IP address, which should allow it to show up in MAX.

Very useful document for this kind of a situation: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/abe4bc247e8ac9bc8625734e005cab42?OpenDocument 

When I tried to add it as a "Remote Device (not on the local subnet)," I got the error message "The device at this address is not supported by the drivers installed on this host."  I checked that my version of NI-RIO 4.0 is compatible with the cRIO-9073.

Also, I ran through the link you provided, and the steps did not remedy the problem.  When I ran the cRIO with the CONSOLE OUT switch ON, I was able to get lots of information from the cRIO in the command prompt in Windows.  This makes me think that there are no problems with the cRIO, but with the software I have installed on Windows.  I'm not sure what else I can try to install, though.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(10,795 Views)

@Christian_M wrote:

Hi,

Did you try to boot it in savemode too?

Also grant Access for Measurement and Automation Explorer in the Windows Firewall.

Christian

Yes, I have tried both of those and they did not work.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(10,794 Views)

@Matthew Williams wrote:

Have you tried connecting with all other network connections (wifi, bluetooth) disabled?  Might require a reboot.  We have seen MAX have trouble finding devices that are not connected via the only network connection.

Matt

I have a desktop, and it has no wifi capabilities, and bluetooth is off.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(10,791 Views)

Do you have LabVIEW Realtime installed?

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(10,785 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ONjPL

To see the cRIO you will also need to have the LabVIEW Real-Time Module installed. Versions of Toolkits/Modules have to be the same as the version of LabVIEW they're being used with. In your case, if you're on LabVIEW 2011 SP1, then you should install the 2011 SP1 Real-Time module. If you haven't yet installed it you'll likely need to repair the NI-RIO driver after you install the module. Because you're on 2011 SP1, your other option would be to upgrade your RIO driver to 4.1 after the install instead of repairing 4.0.  

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
CLD Certified
Message 9 of 10
(10,781 Views)

For some reason I thought that came with the installation of LabVIEW... it ended up working out after the installation.  Thanks so much for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(10,763 Views)