LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cleanup diagram not working

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Gurus, I am working on an entirely messed up and huge program and slowly cleaning it up. So I am using the cleanup diagram tool to fix some parts of the program and work my manual cleanup from there. However It doesn't work on the main vi but works on other vis. My question would be, is there a particular setting in labview that stops the cleanup diagram tool not to work? I am using LV 2015.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(6,812 Views)
  • Make sure nothing is selected when you press cleanup.
  • Are any structures configured to be excluded from cleanup? (RIght-click structure...exclude from cleanup)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(6,789 Views)

Hi Altenbach,

So far I checked, nothing is selected and recheckd the structure and they are not excluded from cleanup. I also check the outside structures just incase the whole loop is excluded from cleanup, but it's not.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(6,779 Views)

Maybe it just gave up.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(6,769 Views)

I've seen this a couple of times. Rebooting my development computer has cleared it up so far...

Glad to answer questions. Thanks for any KUDOS or marked solutions 😉
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(6,707 Views)

Maybe post your code and we can see if we can clean it up.  That being said I have seen the cleanup tool refuse to work, if the block diagram grew too much as a result of the clean up.  There is a maximum front panel and block diagram size, and once you reach it strange things happen.  BD Cleanup generally expands things so they put in some kind of check to ensure that it doesn't grow too large after doing the clean up.  Is it possible your BD is this huge?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/62D66358BBF8A87186256FC50077FA17

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(6,678 Views)

Hoovahh thanks for that link. I haven't seen that before.

I have seen this on small diagrams though. I never tried to figure out what was happening due to low number for occurences and it worked after a reboot.

I've also seen the cleanup not work on small diagrams and LabView crashed as a result. This was on a new i7 PC with 16gb of ram, and tech support never was able to figure out why it happened. They just told me to reload LabView...

Glad to answer questions. Thanks for any KUDOS or marked solutions 😉
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(6,672 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I tried rebooting the system but still no luck.  Our program is so huge after ~15 years of gradual addition and changing of the code by only one person that learned labview from books and mocking around experimenting stuff. its a massive while loop and thousands of loops here and there. Refactoring is a pain so far I am still motivated to clean it up.:manmad:

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(6,637 Views)

Sounds like the too large block diagram could actually be the real problem.  Luickily you can cleanup selections of code by selecting it then performing a cleanup.  I also think you can cleanup structures by right clicking them.  Good luck, some times it is easier to just understand what the program does, and start over, copying parts of the existing program into a better design.

Message 9 of 17
(6,611 Views)

Hi Hooovah,

Youre suggestion on creating a new came to me long ago and I am doing it on the side. However the cleanup on selections of the code is the one that is not working. I don't want to do a cleanup on the whole code as I have a gut feel it would do worse and make it bigger so I am cleaning it up piece by piece (selection by selection) but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work... Came to think. what have I done wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(6,561 Views)