LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compiled stand-alone vi not working

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to compile my vi so that it works on machines (PC, Mac) that do not have NI LabView installed on them.  My vi connects a laptop to a scientific device via serial/usb connection, then reads data.

SITUATION

My vi works great, when I compile the self-executable application (vi.exe), it works properly on my machine (LabView installed), and when I load it onto another machine (WinXP), the vi.exe loads properly, but it does not run properly.  It only displays COM1 as the available port option (there are more).  When I change the ports around in the Control Panel, so that COM3 is referenced as COM1 (trying to trick Windows), still nothing happens (no data is observed - communication lines are dead).  Alternatively, on the same machine, HyperTerminal shows data streaming from my scientific device using the same serial/usb configuration (no I am not trying to use the vi.exe and HyperTerm at the same time, also I have installed LVRTE851std on said machine - I use LV8.5.1).

QUESTIONS

1) What is wrong with the way LabView compiled the self-executable vi? 

2) Do you have any suggestions on how I may troubleshoot this application and get it running on the additional machine?  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,390 Views)

Your executable will work on a machine with LabVIEW already installed, provided you have the right COM port selected.

However, for the other machines that dont already have LabVIEW, you have to make an installer with the executable.

This way, you have the run-time engine, dependencies, etc all included.

Try this and see if you are still having trouble.

Cory K
Message 2 of 14
(3,387 Views)
Looks like I cannot post an exe to this forum.  that's probably a good thing.  Let me know if there is anything more I can provide
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,386 Views)

Ok.  Can you elaborate a little more?  How do I make an installer?  Meanwhile, I'll go search the help...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,385 Views)

What version of LabVIEW do you have?

Here is a quick guide to correctly building an executable in 8.0 and previous

Look here if you have 8.2 and later

Message Edited by Cory K on 03-20-2009 11:28 AM
Cory K
Message 5 of 14
(3,378 Views)
.... and creating an installer
Cory K
Message 6 of 14
(3,369 Views)
Solution
Accepted by CodeMunkee
Message 7 of 14
(3,366 Views)
1) Your code could be used as an example of how NOT to program in LabVIEW. You should definitelly read some book about coding in LabVIEW like this or at least to read The Development guidelines, especially chapter 6

2) Regarding your exe issue - since you are using some VISA functions did you also include the VISA runtime engine to your installer?
LV 2011, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,334 Views)

1) Your reply to a 'help' question could be used as an example of how NOT to help someone.  You have bad taste in clothes.  See, style comments get us nowhere.

2) The issue was solved, thankfully by a less rude person, in the message above yours.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,325 Views)

CodeMunkee wrote:

1) Your reply to a 'help' question could be used as an example of how NOT to help someone.  You have bad taste in clothes.  See, style comments get us nowhere.

You are wrong about 'style comments get us nowhere'. Style matters very much in any programming language and especially in a visual programming language such as LabVIEW. Following the style guidelines makes it easier to maintain and update a program. This is especially beneficial when someone, someday, may have to be responsible for it. Now, if you are a student and this is a one time effort, the style probably does not matter. However, if you are working someplace as a LabVIEW programmer, you will never be taken seriously as a professional until you improve the way your code looks.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 03-20-2009 07:29 PM
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,313 Views)