LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delay line

I couldn't make any progress because I don't know anything about labview. I don't have any education.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 31
(765 Views)

@oakin wrote:

I couldn't make any progress because I don't know anything about labview. I don't have any education.

Then you have to learn. Every engineer on this Forum wasn't born with this prior knowledge, everyone was beginner at the beginning.

Start LabVIEW and create simple program which will show signal on the graph. There are lot of example, coming together with LabVIEW. Waveform - Create is good "getting started" point. Try to create random signal as well as Sine, or something similar which received from your amplifier. Try to make simple simulation an assumptions that you will receive data point by point.

Next, purchase cheapest Arduino, imagine that this device is your Amplifier, add physical button, and on press generate some data and push these to RS232. Now on LabVIEW side try to get these data with VISA.

You should do everything step by step (and you don't need much time, two-three days shall be sufficient for basic understanding, if you have some basic programming experience with other languages like Python or C#, etc). When something goes wrong - show your code here and ask for the questions. If you have no time - hire engineer who will do everything for you. But this is hardware-oriented project, so it could be complicated to get things done in absence of the real hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 31
(754 Views)

You said to hire an engineer who can do it for you. that's what I'm looking for. where can I find one?

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 31
(746 Views)

What's your budget? 

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 31
(743 Views)

max 100 dollars.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 31
(739 Views)

@oakin wrote:

max 100 dollars.

You want help for about one (1) hour?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 31
(758 Views)

Our teacher said that someone who knows can do it in 30-40 minutes. I'm looking for someone who knows.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 31
(753 Views)

@oakin wrote:

Our teacher said that someone who knows can do it in 30-40 minutes. I'm looking for someone who knows.

This reminds me well known humor story where "Henry Ford once balked at paying $10,000 to General Electric for work done troubleshooting a generator, and asked for an itemized bill. The engineer who performed the work, Charles Steinmetz, sent this: "Making chalk mark on generator, $1. Knowing where to make mark, $9,999." Ford paid the bill."

Message 28 of 31
(727 Views)

Does your "teacher" know LabVIEW?  Offer your teacher $100 and have them show you how to do this assignment.  You will learn some LabVIEW and will, I hope, get a good grade.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 31
(680 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Does your "teacher" know LabVIEW?  Offer your teacher $100 and have them show you how to do this assignment.  You will learn some LabVIEW and will, I hope, get a good grade.

Bob Schor

This could be a dangerous offer, Bob, because this is an indirect attempt to bribe a teacher for a grade, which could lead to the cancellation of the entire education.

Oakin, if your teacher said that this could be done in 30-40 minutes, then it means that this is something very simple and trivial, like just reading values from an amplifier and displaying them in a graph. All you should know is VISA Open/Write/Read, and a little bit with arrays and graphs. I have similar exercises from time to time, when a new oscilloscope or generator needs to be connected to LabVIEW. If you don't need "luxury" software, then half an hour is sufficient.

But your problem is slightly deeper than just missing LabVIEW knowledge. Sorry for my mentor-like tone, but your major trouble is that you cannot define your requirements clearly and concisely from the beginning. And this "clear thinking" skill is much more important than LabVIEW knowledge. So, you should start from a blank page and write, "I have an Amplifier model [model name] connected to a PC, and I need to get measurements in LabVIEW as a graph... and so on." Even if you hire the highest professional, they will ask you immediately: What exact model of your device? Where is the specification and list of commands? How will you trigger your measurement? Is your device equipped with memory, so you will read the whole measurements after the experiment, or should you obtain the data during the running experiment? If so, how often (at which rate) should you poll your device for the data? Is your device configured and accessible from Measurement and Automation Explorer? etc., etc. So, this is more about requirements definition with a given time estimation. And nowadays, you have fantastic educational possibilities, like tons of examples, forums, and communities, and even ChatGPT is helpful if you can define your questions properly.

Message 30 of 31
(652 Views)