LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error 1097 when calling NtSetTimerResolution in NTDLL.DLL

Solved!
Go to solution

I get error 1097 when calling NtSetTimerResolution in NTDLL.DLL.  Why ?   I've scoured most posts on this forum describing error 1097 and tried suggested solutions to no avail.

This is a link to the function protoype (copied below) which I matched in the Call Library node of the attached vi (you will be prompted to locate NTDLL.DLL on your system when opening it)

NtSetTimerResolution and NtQueryTimerResolution are defined as follows. All times are specifified in hundreds of nanoseconds.

NTSTATUS NtSetTimerResolution (
        IN ULONG RequestedResolution,
        IN BOOLEAN
Set,
        OUT PULONG ActualResolution
);

Parameters

RequestedResolution

The desired timer resolution. Must be within the legal range of system timer values supported by NT. On standard x86 systems this is 1-10 milliseconds. Values that are within the acceptable range are rounded to the next highest millisecond boundary by the standard x86 HAL. This parameter is ignored if the Set parameter is FALSE.

Set

This is TRUE if a new timer resolution is being requested, and FALSE if the application is indicating it no longer needs a previously implemented resolution.

ActualResolution

The timer resolution in effect after the call is returned in this parameter.

Peter
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,799 Views)

It wasn't clear from the prototype you referenced, but in some other places I googled, it looks like NTSTATUS is supposed to be an int.  But I don't think that is really the problem.  I think the real problem is that this .dll wants stdcall (WINAPI) instead of C calling convention.  At least it seems to succeed if I make this one change to your example VI.  I didn't test if it actually changes anything about the timing system, though.

Best Wishes,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,778 Views)

Thanks for your suggestion Matt. I'm suprised you got it to work as I had already tried your suggestion of selecting stdcall (WINAPI) instead of C calling convention (and did again after reading your reply) but I still get error 1097 Smiley Sad !

rgds

Peter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,761 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter_B

Woohoo ! I solved the problem.  Smiley Very Happy

I was using a copy of NTDLL.DLL from here  C:\Drivers\I386\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL (version 5.1.2600.1106)

instead of here C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll (version 5.1.2600.5755).

A rather interesting side observation I made, when I tried placing the older version into C:\WINDOWS\system32 to see if it was just a dependency issue rather than a version issue, I couldn't do it !  I tried renaming C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll.old, and straight away  a replacement C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll would pop up in its place !! I even tried dragging and dropping C:\Drivers\I386\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL to C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll , it seemed to replace it but some security system immediately overwrote it with the latest version.   Either WinXP is smarter than I thought or perhaps something like Microsoft Windows Defender Antispyware installed by our company is doing this.

Anyway I confirmed the lateer version is needed because when I copied C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll to C:\Drivers\I386\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL it also solved the problem.

You might well ask why I didn't use the correct version in the first place - well not knowing where it was located, I only noticed the older version when I searched for it with my Google Desktop.

rgds

Peter
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,755 Views)