cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

establishing communication between labview and the controllers

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello experts

Please experts, I have a serious problem; This problem consists of establishing communication between LabVIEW and each automaton below:
1-OMRON(CP1H; CQM1)
2-MUTSIBISHI
3-GE FANUC 90-30;
4-allen bradley;
5-Siemens(S7-200;S7-300)
Most of these controllers communicate with my PC via SERIAL communication (com port). the concern here is to know:
1-how to read and write the addresses of these automatons through labview which is installed on my PC.

2- given that there is no Ethernet port on these PLCs but serial; Is there an NI (for example NI VISA) for communication with these machines.

thanks for understanding

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(363 Views)

Yes, NI VISA is what you generally use for Serial Communication.   I strongly recommend that you view this video by Tim Robinson, a LabVIEW Champion and frequent contributor to this Forum who explains Serial Communication in LabVIEW very clearly.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(325 Views)

I'm fairly certain people have done this, I'm just unaware of any examples.  It would be time to dig out some manuals to figure out the protocol for each controller and then we can put something together.  That is just the nature of communications in general.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(314 Views)

Found this for Siemens S7 - https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/product/sp7-toolkit-for-labview.html

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(302 Views)

you will probably need to dig for communication's protocol on each one of these devices. 

A good starting point is  JKI VI Package Manager Download - NI search for the devices you 're looking for. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(299 Views)

Good morning

yes I usually use NI VISA for serial communication; and currently I would like to know if it is possible to communicate Cx-programmer (Omron automaton programming software) with LabVIEW (NI VISA) on the same PC through the same COM port (9600; 7;2;E) with Host Link as a communication protocol.
if it works I would buy the CP1H automaton to connect to labview.

thanks for understanding

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(237 Views)

I'm looking but I can't see

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(232 Views)

I typed "cx programmer" into Google and got directed to Omron Europe and the "CX Programmer Introduction Guide".  Guess what?  This looks just like a LabVIEW Project, complete with Project view, Tab Controls, and other familiar LabVIEW Front Panel Controls.  This doesn't directly address the questions that @Wanji raised, except to say that the Omron product looks like several man-years of skilled LabVIEW development.  But if Omron used "what appears to be LabVIEW" to run things, then probably LabVIEW will work with your controllers.

I'm attaching an image of the cover page.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(214 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I typed "cx programmer" into Google and got directed to Omron Europe and the "CX Programmer Introduction Guide".  Guess what?  This looks just like a LabVIEW Project, complete with Project view, Tab Controls, and other familiar LabVIEW Front Panel Controls.  This doesn't directly address the questions that @Wanji raised, except to say that the Omron product looks like several man-years of skilled LabVIEW development.  But if Omron used "what appears to be LabVIEW" to run things, then probably LabVIEW will work with your controllers.

I'm attaching an image of the cover page.

Considering the look of the tabs and some other layout details I'm highly doubting that this was programmed with LabVIEW.

Omron typically supports HostLink over RS-485/232, and FINS over Ethernet and NT Link, which is proprietary. However I'm not aware of fully implemented LabVIEW driver libraries for any of them. HostLink is fairly simple to do yourself on VISA based on documentation from Omron. FINS I never looked at but this seems to be a possible implementation: https://github.com/jmor2000/LV-OMRON-FINS

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(203 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Wanji

I don't know Omron Sw but I doubut that would work with labview. 

You can  probably develop your own sw to program the PLC through ViSA but you need to know the protocol of commands to send/read to /from the PLC. 

Check this link about  OPC and LABVIEW

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000x0MPCAY&l=en-CA

RKO
Message 10 of 10
(190 Views)