LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fpga i/o node error - input is not configured

I'm trying to run through the sbRIO eval kit tutorial, and am getting the following errors from HD44780 FPGA.lvlib:

The FPGA I/O In parameter on the FPGA I/O Node is wired to an input that is not configured. Select an I/O item from the control or constant. You also can configure the input by right-clicking the control or constant and selecting FPGA I/O Category from the shortcut menu.

I'm really at a loss since I'm just learning how to utilize FPGAs in LabVIEW (2011 SP1), and was getting similar errors on my own.

I'm using the "NI LCD Module Driver, 1.1.0.11" driver installed by the VI Package Manager.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-B-

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,976 Views)

Hey Scottso,

Right click the FPGA target in your project and select new-> FPGA I/O. You should see the mezzanine card in a tree structure. Expand it and all your IO shoudl be available underneath. Press the arrow to add the channel to your New FPGA I/O Listbox then press OK. It should then put the IO into your project to be used. You can then drag the I/O from your project and drop it on your block diagram. Another option is to click on the node you have shown and choose "Add New FPGA I/O" or if you already have the IO in your project you can click the node and choose "Select FPGA I/O"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,968 Views)

I added all onboard I/O available, see attached.  I'm still getting the same run-time errors, and get "The VI broken" if I try to rebuild the build spec.  I don't specifically see the LCD as a resource, though it's listed as DIO 17-27 on the "LabVIEW RIO Eval" board that's attached to the sbRIO 9636.  Could the tutorial project that came bundled with the eval kit not match the hardware it came with?

-B-

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,960 Views)

Under onboard I/O in your project it says FPGA LED...are you looking for something different? I'm a bit confused, but it could be because I have not used the Eval Kit directly, I have just programmed some custom application stuff for sbRIO.\

Misread...LCD not LED. My bad.

Edit: You're using the project that shipped with it. Could you bundle everying up and repost it? There were subVIs missing in your last attachment, and I'm assuming they had all the I/O in them because I don't see any on your diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,954 Views)

I was expecting LCD.  The project uses the Hitachi HD47780 (LCD) driver.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,948 Views)

Here's what was installed from the driver install via VI Package Manger, from LV's vi.lib directory.

-B-

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,940 Views)

Hi scottso,

Unfortunately I believe that our LabVIEW 2011 SP1 version of the LCD Character Display Driver package is not working promptly as I saw another customer with an issue when they installed the 2011.1 LCD Character Display Driver from package manager.

As a work around, uninstall the LCD Character Display Driver and then install the driver from the MSI installer included in the DVD that was shipped with the LabVIEW RIO Evaluation Kit. It can be found at the following path: Distributions\sbRIO\Products\NI-IE_LCD\IE_LCD\IE_LCD.msi

I will be contacting R&D and post on this thread once this issue is resolved.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this scottso.

Cheers,

Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,899 Views)

The broken wires are probably from mass compile.

Uninstall the LCD driver.

Open your VI Package Manager, select Tools->Options, uncheck "Mass Compile VIs After Package Installation".

Reinstall it by VI Package Manager.

The VIs are developed by LabVIEW 2010. The mass compile on FPGA code will break the wires to IO nodes.

Let me know if it fixes your problem.

Ryan Shi
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,888 Views)

Thanks Jonah and Ryan.  I've only just had the chance to try your suggestions.  I started with Ryan's since it seemed simpler, and it ended up doing the trick.  Text now scrolls acorss the LCD.

Thanks for you help.

-B-

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,864 Views)