LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing vi from old LV versions (Mac to Win)

Hi! I have old VIs using VXI and I have to import them in LV 6.1 under WINDOWS. These VIs were created with LV 3 to 4 on a MACINTOSH. When Importing them in LV 6.1 2 problems happen:

1) version 3 VIs are TOO OLD and not openable

2) there is a problem with connector terminals (they are placed in different places) with the new VXI VI so manually I have to reload the old VXI VI and change them. Is it a way to automatically choose the old VIs (that are still in LV 6.1 libraries)?

3) There is an annoying problem with MAC filenames: all "*" are automatically changed into "_". Is this a way to solve this?

3 questions... 3 answers?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,629 Views)
Went through the same pain myself. Here's the fix(?):

1) You need to open them with LV 5, first. Once you have LV 5 vi's, you can open them without pain in LV 6+. Note that some vi's need this treatment, others can open directly in LV 6+. No idea why, but going through LV 5 seems to keep everything happy.

2) Not much can be done with mis-placed wires. Just happens sometimes and you need to manually fix.

3) Since "*" is not a valid part of a filename under Windows, you will need to get rid of it anyway. The automatic change from "*" to "_" is the best that LV can do, and a reasonable thing, under the circumstances.

Hope this helps.

- Jim Cavera
Message 2 of 3
(2,629 Views)
I believe that opening the old VI's and re-saving them in LV 4 would also work. If you don't have LV4 or 5 then a conversion kit for old VI's is supposedly available from NI.

You might be able to find a workaround for problem (2) by temporarily moving some of the problem VI's out of where they currently are in the hierarchy (vi.lib?) before you load your old VI's, and/or creating 'wrapper' VI's to go around the new VXI VI's that have the connectors in the places you need.

If the conversion in (3) is a problem, can you avoid it by saving the VI's into an LLB on the Mac before bringing them to Windows?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,629 Views)