LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

probe shows not executed on some wires !!!

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello David,

The VI you attached appears to be password protected.

Regards,

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(1,081 Views)

Thanks Tom for telling me, here the same vi without password-protection.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,051 Views)

Thanks for posting that.  I looked at it and that does look like a bug.

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,005 Views)

I think your wires get stripped out by the compiler because they are dead code. (With my idea implemented, we would immediately notice and not try to put probes on them. ;))

I think it is not a bug and the probe reports correctly that nothing happens with that wire during execution, because it would make no difference in the end anyway.

Of course it would be nice if a probe would indicate that fact in some way, e.g. instead of saying "not executed" it could say someting else, indicating that the code got stripped out and does not exist, because it is irrelevant for the outcome.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(990 Views)

Hi, hookso,

It is like that the initializer interferes the shift register, just in my opinion.

As you mentioned, removing the feedback node can solve the problem.

You may try make one more shift register for the Event.Data, and can see the probes works.

Something like your original shift register works for the Event.History, and the probe is not executed since you disable the Feedback Node but left the initializer.

In other word, both the feedback node and the shift register are not consisitent to work.

You may try making the Feedback Node with initialize terminal instead of an initializer on the while loop, then it should works.

FeedbackNode.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(966 Views)

To altenbach:

I support your idea of bleaching dead code. Though in my case I don't think it's dead code. The Event cluster data are used in other cases, in my original vi that's the case and also now in the posted version 3 of the vi, where the Event.Data indicator is moved out of the disabled Disable Structure. Additonally i put indicators on the Source and the Type wire. No wire value is updated in the probe, except the Time wire. This all looks for me very much like a bug. Another issue, that I so far didn't integrate in the reduced vi, was that an event like Scale Range Change that fired a lot, queued up and took some time to be executed, when the Feedback node with Initializer on the while loop was disabled. 

To William1225:

Yes I just have to move the Initializer back to globally inizialize and then the probes are updating. I could have put Shift registers for the Event.History instead of the feedback node, but there I feared creating small additional load to the event loop. But maybe this isn't the case if the Event.History cluster and its Shift registers are compiled away and dead code when they're not used somewhere for an indicator or so.

Feedback Node in disabled Disable Structure Bug - Block Diagram 2.png

Feedback Node in disabled Disable Structure Bug - Probe not updating 2.png

Message 16 of 16
(939 Views)