LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pulse oximeter

A pulse oximetry reading is determined by the difference between two signals.   Signal 1 is what we like to call "Red" or your basic LED with light output at about 720 nm, the second signal is what we like to call infer-red or the light from an infra-red transmitter.   The two AC signals are put through two sample and hold circuits and the one is subtracted from the other, the resulting signal is directly proportionate to the SPO2 reading.   The look up data is usually stored in a chart in the Micro controllers internal or external flash memory (Ususlally external).   It will be necessary to strip off the DC and low frequency AC components before doing any calculations, all of which can be done in lab view if you know how using the exsiting filter vi's.  The look up table data can be constructed manually by using an SPO2 simulator and recording the raw outputs from the differeance between the hold an capture circuit data and known simulator data once you have sucessfully constructed the labview aplication.   I have never tried this, but you may beable to get a calibration chart from the manufacturer for the finger clamp assy. to help get you started. 
It will be necessary to initially control the LED and Infra-red outputs to managable and usable levels, adjusting them accordingly before doing any calculations.  (Aprox 200 LSB's each)   On larger fingers it will be necessary to adjust the gain of the circuit to obtain correct readings.    Since you will be using a single pick up device to read both the RED and Infra-red signals, it will be necessary to MUX/Switch between the signals feeding them into separate sample and hold applications in Lab view.
You will have to control the current going through both light sources to achieve the light output needed, which can be done VIA the apropriate Labview DIO Hardware.

Message Edited by doctorhash on 10-18-2005 08:35 AM

Message Edited by doctorhash on 10-18-2005 08:35 AM

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(5,184 Views)
Hi hi otis,

If you have LabVIEW 7.0 or higher, then open LabVIEW and go to Help > Find Examples > Browse > Hardware Input and Output > DAQmx > Analog Measurements > Cont Acq&Graph Voltage-Int Clk.vi

All I got was open LabVIEW and go to Help > Find Examples > Browse > Hardware Input and Output > and the rest of the folder is GPIB,general,serial,sound,traditional daq and visa folder, don have wat you mention. Pls advise.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(5,134 Views)
Hi,

It sounds like you do not yet have the DAQ Drivers installed for your card.  You should first download the latest version of NI-DAQmx (DAQmx 8.0), install the drivers, reboot and then you should see the devices and examples appear.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(5,097 Views)

Hi,

In prior posts, Doraemon speaks about using DAQCard-AL-16XE-50

If i remember correctly, this card  card is not compatible with DAQmx. But can be used with traditional DAQ only.

correct me if i am wrong

regards

Dev

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(5,073 Views)
Dev,

You're right, Doraemon said, "I'm having ver 6 labview, DAQCard-AL-16XE-50".  This thread was getting so long that I forgot that.

You will have to download the Traditional DAQ drivers.  Since you are using LV 6 you probably want to use DAQ 6.9.3.

The paths won't be the same and I can't really tell you what the exact path is, but look for an example that just does a simple continuous acquisition.  The hard part in all of this is the external circuitry.  Once you get to the DAQ board it should be very simple.  Refer to the  DAQCard E Series User Manual if you have any other problems with this device.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(5,062 Views)
Most of the commercial pulse oximeters are of a style that clips onto a finger or ear and have a built-in readout.  I'm looking for one that would have a voltage output that could be then digitized by LabVIEW for further recording and analysis.  This is for a academic teaching lab experiment hence inexpensive is desired
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(4,392 Views)

Hello,

I am a bioengineering student doing a senior design project where I need to pair a pulse meter with labview. The only problem is that the data transmission needs to be wireless. It looks like Nordic Track - (A fitness company) has some cheap pulse monitors on EBay with ear clips. This setup is preferable to us as the subject's hands will need to be free. Here is what the pulse meter looks like: http://buyfitnessonline.com/osc/images/CSA_Pulse_Clip.JPG. It uses a 3.5mm audio style TRS connector. 

I assume it has a led light source- with power/voltatge being sent through the wire from the display unit and a photoresistor/diode that is affected by the transmission of light through the ear blood vessels. I'm not sure what type of data is sent back to the display- whether it is the new voltage from the photoresistor or some other type of data. It would really help for us to have a schematic, or at least an idea of what the electrical diagram looks like.

We are considering rf transmission and reception hooked up to a data acquisition card. Could anyone give me some advice on how to accomplish this? We have not bought our own DAQ yet, but can use ones in our lab for now. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Adam  

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(4,031 Views)

Adam,

The real key is to know how the data is transmitted from your transducer.  Chances are that you won't even really need a DAQ device and instead you'll just need a receiver of some sorts.  For example, let's say that the transducer communicates with Bluetooth back to the main device, then all you need to do is connect to the bluetooth transducer and decipher what data was sent.  

Unfortunately, we won't really be able to help you on these boards about how the information comes in from the transducer and you will need to talk to Nordic Track.  Who knows, they might even have a development module that they'd let you use (since you're in a university).

Best of luck with your project, and just figure out how the transducer communicates and follow the trails from there.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(4,021 Views)
Some tips.

In your circuit I will recommend you have some arrangement for blocking the DC component in the signal, before you send the signal to your DAQ card. Labview also have a peak detection function, and an example solving your problem. This may be valuable for your project. . Because your heart rate is the inverse value of the time between two systolic pressure tops. Heart rate is also given in beats pr minute, so you have multiply your vales with 60. The peak detection function is not included in the base version. But if you have filter VIs you will have this function

Labview 6 is also a quite old version but it will do the job just fine. I think it has been mentioned before. But if you remove daqmx and install Nidaq 6.9.3 (or 4) you can take advantage of newer Labview versions. I am still using my old Nidaq 516 card in labview 8.5

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(3,998 Views)

i would use a pulse oximeter probe. but instead of the oximeter showing the result in number like a calculator does, i want lab view to acquire the data from the probe and visualize it in computer screen with a graph.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(3,207 Views)