cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"LabView: Error connecting to GPIB driver or device" on OS X 10.5

Solved!
Go to solution

dear LabVIEW gurus,

I have a Mac desktop that runs OS X 10.5. everything was fine until one day it started to run very slowly. but all programs, including labview, ran fine (but excruciatingly slow). the solution was to re-install the os. this fixed the (slow computer) issue, but it also erased all old programs. so I had to re-install labview 8.6. here's the problem: when I try to execute an old labview script, that is supposed to communicate, via GPB interface, I get the following error message:

“LabView: Error connecting to GPIB driver or device. This is usually due to a required driver not being installed on the system. NI-488: error connecting to driver or device”.

I installed everything that I could get my hands on (meaning every program/driver that I was able to find on any disc that came with the purchased labview), including “labview RunTimeEngine”, “GPIBdrivers”, “VISAdrivers”, “NI488.2”, and “NI-VISAdriver”. but I still get the error. somebody recommended that the GPIB card is not being recognized, but I think that I installed everything that I could have. and, at this point, I must have installed something that the mac would use to communicate with the GPIB card.

when it comes to labview I'm really a newbie and I don't know doodly squat about macs. I'd really appreciate any sort of help. thank you

robert

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,917 Views)

Hi Robert,

What versions of the drivers do you have installed? If you don't already have NI-488.2 version 2.5.5, please download and install the driver located here.

Just to make clear, before you re-installed the OS, everything worked fine? And now the VI doesn't work, even though you have changed nothing in the VI?

Regards,

Daniel H.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,893 Views)

Daniel,

thank you very much for replying.

correct, the VI script, along with everything else, was fine before the OS X was re-installed.

I installed the recommended driver (both, the ni4882.dmg and the NI-VISA-4.4.0.dmg). still no luck.

I went to Applications->National Instruments->NI-488.2->GPIB Explorer. when I launch that application, I can actually see the card (NI PCIe-BPIB).

I don't really know labview that well, but I know that you cannot just copy a single script from one locatiot to another and expect it to work. what I did notice is that, after the installation I have two desktops: one from this new installation, and one from the older installation (I think that during the os re-installation, the system put the old desktop somewhere else as a reference). in any case, I'm afraid that the VI program, saved on the old desktop, is pointing to/looking for the necessary link files/drivers at the wrong place. is there a way to manually configure where the files/drivers are (dont' even know if this is the problem)? 

but here is an interesting turn of events. somebody just gave me USB-to-GPIB cable. I didn't have anything to lose. I checked in the GPIB Explorer, and the connection/device did show up. so I ran my program, and it worked. does that mean that it's actually the PCIe card that's not being recognized/addressed properly?

thanks a million for any possible suggestions.

r.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,884 Views)

Hi Robert,

It does sound like the PCIe card isn't being recognized. Sometimes that is a result of having the device connected to the computer while the driver is being installed. I suggest disconnecting your PCIe card and reinstalling the VISA and 488.2 drivers. Then re-connect the PCIe card and see if that fixes your problem.

Regards,

Daniel H.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,869 Views)

per your recommendation, I tried re-installing the drivers with the Keithley completely unplugged. it did not help, so I tried re-installing them with Keithley connected and turned on. also did not help. but the USB-to-GPIB cable works. but the Keithley has to be turned on before I start the labview script. any other suggestions? thanks.

r.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,852 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rob_xx17

Hi Robert,

There is a chance that your PCI-GPIB card's address changed when you reinstalled your OS. What address are you using when you try to run with the PCI-GPIB and what address are you using when you run your VI with the USB GPIB?

Regards,

Daniel H.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,837 Views)

well, with the USB cable plugged in, the PCIe card was moved from GPIB0 to GPIB1. but, when I unplugged the USB cable, the PCIe card stayed at address 1. so I changed it manually to GPIB0. and now it works. I can communicate with Keithley using my PCIe card and I don't need the USB cable (it's about $500). the odd part is that, I do remember quite explicitly, that before I plugged the USB cable in, the PCIe card had the Interface Name set to GPIB0. I changed it to 16 and then back to 0 and it was still not happy. but not everything is working and I'm happy. thanks a million Daniel.

r.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,834 Views)

Hi Robert,

I'm glad you got everything working. Have a good weekend.

Regards,

Daniel H.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,818 Views)