LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"not a labview file"popup message

Background: I am using text files to keep a record of test sequences. For easy identification I had named these files *.zbl.

In Windows XP I had assigned an executable, 8mmZBL.exe, to run when a *.zbl file is double-clicked.

I have two problems.

1) It seems that, Project explorer doesn't like the "zbl" extension and puts a question mark next to it. It should not do that, since I had associated 8mmZBL.exe and the *.zbl files.

2) When I double-click a file *.zbl, I get a popup message telling me that *.zbl is not a LabVIEW file.

Well, I know that, I created it and I assigned it to run not with LV8.0 but with 8mmZBL.exe.

Once I clock OK on the popup everything works fine.

I don't remember having this popup in LV 7.1

Question: How do I get rid of that popup message and the question mark?

Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,544 Views)
Hello magyar,

I tried this out using a *.zdl file extension & LabVIEW 8.0.1 and I can reproduce your popup. The reason you're getting this message is that when you double-click the .zbl file, Windows calls your executable with the file name as a command line argument. Unless you've built your executable to handle this, the LabVIEW runtime engine won't know what to do with it -- hence the message.

The way to get around the dialog is in the Build Specification under the "Advanced" section, place a check in the "Pass all command line arguments to application" box. If you want to actually use this command line argument to do something useful, you can use the "Application.Command Line Arguments" property:

For example, you might do something like this:

As for the project explorer problem, I used the default LabVIEW icon for my executable [in your case 8mmZBL.exe (I'm assuming this is a LV exe)] and associated it with a .zdl file. Restart LabVIEW and open the project window, and you should see the same icon as Windows Explorer. If restarting LabVIEW doesn't show the proper icon, perhaps rebooting your system will.

In any case, let us know if this helps! Have a good one,

Message Edited by Charlie S. on 09-25-2006 12:38 PM

Charlie S.

Visit ni.com/gettingstarted for step-by-step help in setting up your system
Message 2 of 3
(2,516 Views)
it worked!
thank you.
Scientia est potentia!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,500 Views)