LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reading emails from gmail by labview

Solved!
Go to solution

I easily found a sample program to send an email to Gmail in LabVIEW and it works well. But I want to read emails from Gmail in LabVIEW as well. Is this possible? Thanks

Jay

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 40
(10,417 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 40
(10,409 Views)

Well, not so much a duplicate post, since that post was asking about reading attachments. This is asking about getting emails from Gmail.

To OP: Your question is not clear. Are you trying to download emails from your Gmail account? If so, you first need to configure Gmail to turn on the POP service. I don't think this is enabled by default. The Gmail help documents tell you how to do this. Once you've done that, you can just use a POP client. You can start by trying the one posted in this thread, but be aware, that sometimes servers have their own little "quirks", as alluded to in that thread.

Message 3 of 40
(10,388 Views)
Thanks, I will check this posting but what is the POP server name for the gmail? J
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 40
(10,382 Views)
I enabled POP in Gmail and tried mail browser.vi (pop.gmail.com for POP server, user name and password) but it times. The mail browser.vi did nto have inputs for SSL and port... do I need these settings?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 40
(10,362 Views)

I assume you're referring to the VIs from this KB article: POP Mail VIs? Yeah, those won't work since Gmail requires SSL. You could try to use stunnel, or you can see if there's an alternative way to do it, such as using .NET if you're on Windows. I have seen examples on the internet that used .NET to create a POP3 client.

Message 6 of 40
(10,355 Views)
On the settings screen you use to set POP and IMAP settings for gmail there is a link to the help documentation that reveals server name and port numbers.
Message 7 of 40
(10,340 Views)

If POP and IMAP don't get you there...maybe RSS will,

https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom

Message 8 of 40
(10,334 Views)
Thanks for the info but your link is password protected. I also have looked .NET application examples for reading email but came up empty. Do you guys have any examples I can take a look?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 40
(10,332 Views)
The OP is using pop.gmail.com which is the correct server. The problem is that Gmail requires SSL, and the VIs in the KB article don't implement SSL. As for examples, there's lots on the internet. Here's a thread with several possibilities: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/44383/reading-email-using-pop3-in-c.
Message 10 of 40
(10,327 Views)