cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared variable LAN configuration

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with Network Published shared variable deployment and I hope the Labview experts in this forum could help me.

I am communicating with a compactRIO (IP 192.168.10.100) via network published shared variable. LabVIEW version 2014 32 bits. The compactRIO is the SVE.

On the target Laptop, there is one LAN port (the usual one) and it is use to connect to the internet with IP (for example 10.115.22.200). There is also a USB to ethernet adapter and it is use to connect to the compactRIO using IP 192.168.10.10. I am able to ping the compactRIo from the laptop.

I called up the Distributed System Manager but I could not see the compactRIO. I could see all other devices on the 10.115.22.200 network.

My question is, is it possible to configure a laptop with two IP addresses (192.168.10.10 and 10.115.22.200) with different subnets? I am suspecting that this is not possible and it is the reason why I am not seeing the compactRIO.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

hlim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,004 Views)

@hlim wrote:

My question is, is it possible to configure a laptop with two IP addresses (192.168.10.10 and 10.115.22.200) with different subnets? I am suspecting that this is not possible and it is the reason why I am not seeing the compactRIO.

Not on the same network device/card. Since you have two network devices (LAN / USB to Ethernet), each one has a different 'network' so it usually has a different IP/subnet. Windows will automatically work out which network device it should communicate on to try and reach the specified device.

If you can ping the cRIO but can't see the SVE, have you checked the Windows Firewall setting for the USB to Ethernet adapter?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 7
(3,991 Views)

One quick correction.  It IS possible to do on the same card.  It's just very unusual outside of OPC applications.

But, Sam is right in pointing out this isn't your issue.  If you're unsure, you've already stated he's right.  You can ping the cRIO.  Therefore, you have a connection to it. As the only connection it has is to your laptop, you're clearly not going through the internet to reach the cRIO with your  ping.

Are the variables deployed?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,982 Views)

No, I have not checked the Firewall setting. That will be the next thing to do. It is a very plausible.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,964 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hlim

Yes, the shared variables are deployed.

There is a solution. Apparently by setting the 1) USB to Ethernet Adapter to "Home" network, and 2) the standard gateway to the IP of the cRIO, solves the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions and inputs from Sam and natasftw.

Yours

hlim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,959 Views)

I saw this on my first cRIO, but this may not be the same thing. The problem that I had is that my move from PC controls, with lots of memory, and the corresponding availability of lots of shared variables had killed my first attempt at cRIO. My cRIO just didn't have the amount of memory it needed to run all of my variables. I have since abandoned using shared variable on cRIO, in favor of network streams, to eliminate the problem, but with a high end system you shouldn't have this problem.

As stated before, variable deployment is a likely problem.

Can you see the system with the Distributed system manager?

When bridging two networks I found that for stability I had to turn off the automatic metrics in the Internet Protocol -> Advanced settings, and then I manually assigned a 1 to one NIC and a 2 to the other NIC.

Glad to answer questions. Thanks for any KUDOS or marked solutions 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,955 Views)

I will keep that in mind (Memory problem) PatrickLye. Apparently our problem is more of a networking issue.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,948 Views)