LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

silver graph performance (apparent serious 2011 flaw)

I noticed that cpu usage was quite high for some VIs and ended up finding out with simple comparison benchmarks (using performance and memory test) that a VI with the new silver graph runs about 25 times slower than a vi with the old, uh, modern graph at default graph size.  For a graph widened to cover a wide screen, it decreased to about 190 times slower, a horrible crawl.  For the test I just generated random numbers put into a 2000 element 1D array to be graphed (couldn't attach the test VIs for some reason). 

The silver graph looks nice, but what in the world is going on here?

Jesse

Message 1 of 9
(3,520 Views)

Ha ha, I just found the answer.  The silver graph has "anti-aliased" turned on by default, which makes it amazingly slow/cpu intensive.  I think it was a mistake to make that the default setting for the Labview 2011 style, but at least here's a heads up.

Jesse

Message 2 of 9
(3,516 Views)

Nice to knowSmiley Happy

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
Message 3 of 9
(3,509 Views)

I'm working with some kids, and was wondering if anyone might know a way to change the graph default settings, so that it's not necessary to always remember to turn off anti-alias every time a new graph is placed?

Thanks,

Jesse 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,506 Views)

I customized the control palette to only show the modern.  I also added panel.background=B3B3B3 to the labview.ini file so that the modern graph color matches well with front panel color, as before. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,499 Views)

You can edit the Silver controls in vi.lib\silver_ctls, so you can turn of the anti-aliasing for newly-placed graphs.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 6 of 9
(3,478 Views)

Thanks Christina, that works perfectly.  I just hope other people realize this.  Also, it appears the black graph background looks better when anti-aliasing is not used.

Jesse

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,462 Views)

Where do you find the "anti-aliasing" option for silver graphs?

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,230 Views)

Hi Ron, right click on the "plot 0" button, or more specifically the little zig-zag graphic, at the upper right of the graph, and you'll see the choice of anti-aliasing that can be uncheckmarked. 

Jesse

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,219 Views)