LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcement: LabWindows™/CVI™ 2013 f1 Patch Release

Critical updates for the LabWindows™/CVI™ 2013 Development Environment and the LabWindows/CVI 2013 Run-Time Engine have been released. These updates address multiple critical issues.

National Instruments strongly recommends that all users of LabWindows/CVI 2013 install the update. You may obtain the update using NI Update Service or by using the associated download page on ni.com/downloads. Note: The update for the Development Environment includes the Run-Time Engine updates.

You may find the list of issues fixed by the update in the LabWindows™/CVI™ 2013 Patch Details.

Thank you,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
Message 1 of 22
(6,465 Views)

Thanks for the quick fix !

Interestingly, the NI Update Service did not succeed, after downloading it repeatedly showed the following message (and of course, if 115 MB could be downloaded, the internet connection was fine...) Pushing the Try Again button did not help.

patch.png

Then I downloaded the file manually, and this installation did work. So is there an issue with the Update Service?

By the way, CVI version is still 13.0.0, no increase to 13.0.1...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(6,446 Views)

Hello Wolfgang,

Thank you for your Update Service feedback.  I can confirm that we have completed successful downloads/installs of the patch through the NI Update Service before and after the patch release.  To be doubly sure, I just used an off-the-network computer to again install the f1 patch via Update Service, and I was successful.  

Note: If anyone experiences similar issues with Update Service, please create an Update Service log, and send it to me in a private message.

Complete the following steps to create an Update Service log:

1. Locate the directory in which Update Service is installed on your computer.  By default, Update Service is located in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Update Service.
  2. Open this directory in Command Prompt. You can do this by either navigating to it using cd commands or by performing a <Ctrl-Shift>-right-click on the Update Service folder and selecting Open command window here from the context menu.
  3. Run NIUpdateService.exe using the -log flag, and specify a log file destination path as shown in the following example:

NIUpdateService.exe -log C:\Users\username\Desktop\log.txt

To address the concern over version numbers, the release version for LabWindows/CVI 2013 was 13.0.0.632, and the LabWindows/CVI 2013 f1 patch version is 13.0.0.647.  This is as intended—we reserve the 00.0.1 for Service Pack releases.

Warm Regards,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
Message 3 of 22
(6,430 Views)

Thank you, Daniel!

May be it's not the right place to discuss this but my comment on the version numbering has a background, i.e. using GetCVIVersion () it is not possible to find out the difference between patched and non-patched versions. How could I do so programmatically?

Message 4 of 22
(6,426 Views)

Avira 13.0.0.4042 alarms that iw.exe in a folder bin\msvc\ has a trojan TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen
iw.exe has a size 1 762 816, date 15.10.2013 15:19, version 13.0.0.647

Any idea?

Message 5 of 22
(6,379 Views)

Hello,

you are absolutely right with this virus alarm.

The other issue is that you cannot see that the patch is applied.

Even in NI MAX you get the same version shown than before.

Gunther

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(6,371 Views)

Hello CVS, Gunther,

The Avira antivirus issue has been corrected in the most recent version of Avira.  We have been actively working with several antivirus companies which were incorrectly identifying components built with LabWindows/CVI 2013 as being malicious.  Please refer to the previous discussion on this topic, located here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/CVI2013-install-avira-antivirus-detect-TR-Crypt-XPACK-Gen/m-p... .  

It looks as though the most recent version of their software is version is 14.0.0.383, as described on their website.  Please try updating your Avira software and let us know whether the problem persists.  Note that we are still in the process of working with these antivirus companies on a solution.

In regard to the versioning concerns, you have several options:

• Use the CVI_AppGetCVIVersion method: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370051V-01/cvi/usermanual/actxappgetcviversion/ .  This will only work if the Development Environment is installed.
  • Check the build revision number from within the ADE by selecting Help»About LabWindows/CVI, or by noticing it on the LabWindows/CVI splash screen.
  • Check the version of cvi.dll or cvirte.dll, depending on which one matters to your application.  Note: We may or may not change the revision of one or both of these DLLs depending on the patch.  Patches will target specific files which need to be fixed, and the fixed files' revision number will be incremented.

Wolfgang has posted a suggestion on the idea exchange here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI-Idea-Exchange/GetCVIVersionEx/idi-p/2600271 , which proposes to extend the capabilities of GetCVIVersion. If the proposed capability of such an extended function would be useful in your own applications, please add comments to the idea exchange thread to voice your interest.

Warm Regards,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
Message 7 of 22
(6,325 Views)

I am trying to install patch f1 but get an error message as shown below.

I am using CVI 2013, version 13.0.0 (632) on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(6,269 Views)

"The patch will affect the uir file calling". After updating, if want to add a new control in the uir created before updating, will cannot see the new control in the panel when running the program.

David

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(6,242 Views)

David_Lee ha scritto:

"The patch will affect the uir file calling". After updating, if want to add a new control in the uir created before updating, will cannot see the new control in the panel when running the program.

David

Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Are you sure of that, David?

If so, I will definitely stop the upgrade to 2013 until a service pack is released!

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(6,226 Views)