LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy CVI RTE to multiple machines over network

Solved!
Go to solution

What is the best way to deploy a new RTE for multiple machines over a network?  I currently have many production testers that have shortcuts to the EXE file that is stored on a server.  If I create an EXE with a newer version of LabWindows/CVI, then I need an easy way to distribute the new RTE without having to go to each tester.

Can someone recommend a software package that would allow me to do this over the network?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,718 Views)
Solution
Accepted by dblok

Hello dblok,

While NI does not currently provide or support software that provides automatic installation of enterprise-wide applications, that does not mean that they do not already exist.  Some quick online searches should turn up a few good resources.   I found the following, which should help you further.

Deploy software automatically

http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/0906rev.html

Regards,

Shawn S. | NIC
Instrument Driver/IVI PSE
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(2,690 Views)

Another possibility, depending on which libraries your application uses, is to create a distribution installer for the CVI RTE in CVI itself, and then, in the Advanced Tab of the Edit Distribution dialog, select the Install LabWindows/CVI Shared Run-Time Engine in the application directory option. When you then install this version of the RTE to the same directory where your exe is, your application should still work in all your client PCs. In this scenario, the RTE doesn't have to be individually installed to each client PC.

Depending on which version of CVI you're using, you might also have to copy mesa.dll manually, post-install, from the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared folder in your computer to the network folder where the other DLLs got installed to.

One important limitation is that this solution doesn't work for all libraries. Check the help topic for this option for a list of libraries for which it is feasible.

Luis

Message 3 of 3
(2,679 Views)