LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the plan for Labwindows/CVI and Linux RT?

I have a VB.NET/Measurement Studio DAQ and Control program which primarily uses one NI 9178 and one NI 9179 cDAQ chassis.  I have also been slowly developing a real-time solution using PXI 8840 controllers.  Along the way I learned that the 9179 is not supported by Pharlap.  NI is transitioning to NI Linux RT.  OK.  I'll bring everything up to date.  I installed Linux on a PXI and then I went to upgrade my LabWindows/CVI and LabWindows/CVI Real-Time Module versions only to find that LabWindows Real-Time Module does not support NI Linux RT. 

What is the long term plan here?  I am in limbo where it seems my only route is go back to Pharlap and replace 9179s with 9178s.  This is not an ideal solution.

Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI
Message 1 of 10
(2,648 Views)

And related to that, What is the plan for Labwindows/CVI and Linux (period) ?

The last version of CVI for Linux is 9 YEARS OLD. When is the new one coming out ?!?

Message 2 of 10
(2,605 Views)

Hi gdargaud,

At this time we are not planning on adding/updating LabWindows/CVI support for Linux OS'es, including support for NI Linux Real-Time targets.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,436 Views)

Yet another stone on CVI's grave 😢

It is increasingly clear that CVI is at a dead end... hope it will survive for the few years before I retire: after that moment it will not be a problem of mine!

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

@Deborah_B I think the correct phrase was: "At this time we are not planning on adding/updating LabWindows/CVI anything."

No maintenance release, no bug fixes, no new features to follow the evolution of the Windows operating system. 
Let me guess ... NI has to honor some large multi-year contracts (military, corporate?) And that's the only reason LabWindows/CVI is still there as a product.

Carlo A.
Megaris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,368 Views)

I heard that CVI 2020 will be the last released/supported version of CVI. So yes, you are right, CVI's days are numbered. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,359 Views)

This time I hate to be right, but it was too easy.

Carlo A.
Megaris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,343 Views)

Hello,

Could someone from NI please comment on this?  It would be useful to know if this is really the end of the road for CVI.

Thanks,

alex

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,321 Views)

I had a conference call with them and I don't believe CVI will be supported after v2020.  I'm not sure there are many feature improvements so they are considering it a mature product.  The real-time module will also not be upgraded to run on Linux RT because their aren't enough users to justify the effort.  I did ask if they could include security updates moving forward so I can continue to use CVI.  That is TBD.

Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,317 Views)

I was told by an NI rep the v2019 of LabWindows/cvi ends 2023 and v2020 support ends 2025.

On another note: Found a major memory bug when doing a very large project in CVI. I was told LabWindows and LabViews are not made for LARGE projects.

I have 15years+ of CVI projects on the production floor any suggestions of what to convert all my projects to???

I have not seen any suggestions from NI so they are leaving a lot of people out to dry.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,165 Views)