Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Acquisition Capturing from Web Cam instead from USB TV capture card

I have just created a stand alone application which is currently running on the real-time and visual environments. The application loads fine but when an image has to be displayed the web cam is set by default instead of the TV capture card. I have installed the capture card driver and it shows up inside the "Device Manager". Inside the "Device Manager" I have disabled the web came and ran the application again (hoping the TV capture card would be selected by default) but no image was being displayed. I then reversed the changes and the web cam image was being displayed again.

I have also noticed that the web-cam is located under the "Imaging Devices" (Device Manager) while my USB capture card driver is located under "Sound, Video and Game controllers". I am just wondering how would I go about in solving this problem? I have designed this program on LabVIEW 8.6 (Windows XP) and I am running the program on LabVIEW real time environment (Windows Vista). Could there be some problems with the Operating Systems?

Any help is appreciated

Aleks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,629 Views)

Hi Alex,

did you try first to retrieve all the capturing devices (I don't know how in LABVIEW), then choosing the correct index at program startup?

This may resolve your problem. I hope it gives you some idea.

Waleed El-Badry MSc.,MCPD, ISTQB Certified Tester
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering
Misr University for Science & Technology

View Waleed El-Badry's profile on LinkedIn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,623 Views)

Aleks,

Have you been able to display images using the TV capture card without LabVIEW, perhaps using a utility program that came with the drivers for the card?  This would ensure that the card and drivers are working properly.  Also, how are you trying to get the images using LabVIEW?  What functions are you using specifically?  It is typically necessary to specify the image source. Perhaps one of the VIs you are using has an optional input for that. 

Are you getting any errors when no image is displayed (when the webcam is not present)?  An error number would help to identify the problem. 

With regards to the operating systems: does the program run fine in the development environment (LabVIEW 8.6 on XP) but not in the Vista environment?  Has it ever worked for you? 

I hope you are able to get it working.

-Christina

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,604 Views)