Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 1426 sync with quadrature encoder signals

I am using LabVIEW 2009 developer suite (including NI Vision) on Windows 7 PC.

I am trying to use PCI 1426 (cameralink) to sync frame capture form Dalsa Piranha2 8k, 18kHz with motion (quadrature encoder).

The PCI 1426 user manual describes the 15 pin connector pin out with 4 pins for A+, A-, B+ and B- whcih are quadrature encoder signals from the motor.

I did tap the encoder signals and wire the 15 pin connector to the PCI  1426 and installed the camera file for Dalsa camera in MAX.

Now, I am not clear how to tell the PCI 1426 to use quadrature encoder signals to captur frames from the Dalsa camera. The "signal level" tab did not list quadrature encoder as an option.

Thanks in advance.

Ashish Uttarwar
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,405 Views)

Ashish-

These two forums may be helpful to you:

Can I get a frame sync signal when using a camera link line scan camera with a PCI-1426?
http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/Can-I-get-a-frame-sync-signal-when-using-a-camera-link-line-s...

VSYNC from IMAQ -D6804 cable?
http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/VSYNC-from-IMAQ-D6804-cable/m-p/361474#M9822

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,369 Views)

George,

thanks for your help.

I got the Dalsa working (triggering on encoder signals) by using Exposure Mode = 6 for the camera in MAX.

The easiest way I tested is by setting the motor in continuous cycle mode and pressing Grab button. If the test failes, I would get Timeout error on the grab command. But, in fact, I do not get the timeout error if the motor is running.

However, now I am trying to get this behavior in a VI in order to integrate in my main application. I tried one example "LL Trigger Each Line From Encode.vi". I get a timeout error message on running this VI. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ashish Uttarwar
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,355 Views)

Ashish-

Where is the Timeout error coming from in this example?  The easiest way to see this is running this example with Highlight Exe on. 

Regards,

Mike S
NI AE
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,337 Views)

I found one example where the IMAQ property "Last valid image" was used to skip IMAQ Extract Buffer action inside the while loop. This gave me expected result. So, now I have a VI that starts motion and begins capturing lines from the camera. ImagetoImage VI is used to build the large image from extracte lines.

Thanks for your help.

Ashish Uttarwar
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,300 Views)