Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set the exposure time and the gain of a connected camera with IMAQ USB

A camera was connected to my computer with USB port and we can acquire the image through IMAQ USB.  Now we have to set separately the exposure time and the gain with the camera's driver software provided by the manufacturer.  My question is: how to set directly the exposure time and the gain of this camera in Labview?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,626 Views)

Hi Frank

Welcome to the forum. Have fun

@FranklinT wrote:

My question is: how to set directly the exposure time and the gain of this camera in Labview?

I think its not possible for USB Cameras. 

Previous threads for your ref

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/How-to-control-property-nodes-for-USB-camera/td-p/970306

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/imaq-USB-property-page/td-p/926034

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,617 Views)

Hi Franklin,

Are you using IMAQdx or IMAQ for USB?  Are you able to see the camera in Measurement & Automation Explorer?  Are the exposure time and gain attributes that you can alter in MAX?

Regards,

Kira T

Message 3 of 10
(6,609 Views)

Hi Kira

Kira T wrote:

Are you using IMAQdx or IMAQ for USB? 

If am not wrong its IMAQ USB as mentioned in the POST TITLE.

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,604 Views)

Now, I am using IMAQ USB for the image acquisition.  It seems that we have to set the exposure time and the gain through the separate camera configuration software to set these parameters. However, we do need control directly these two parameters by our LabView Program.  Therefore, I have two questions:

1.  Could these two parameters be controlled by IMAQ USB?

2.  What kind of camera can be controlled directly by IMAQdx?  It seems only cameras that meet either the Gige Standard or the IEEE1394 Standard.

Thanks.

Franklin  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,601 Views)

Thank you so much for your reply.

Please take a look at my previous reply and confirm the following points:

1.  IMAQdx requires the cameras meet some industrial standards such as Gige Vision.

2.  If the camera meets the standard, the camera's exposure time and the gain can be set by the IMAQdx property node.

Thanks,

Franklin 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,600 Views)

Now I finished the activation of the IMAQdx and I can grad the images and control two parameters in Measurement&Automation Explorer.

Please give me a little more information regarding controlling the exposure time and the gain with IMAQdx.

Thanks,

Franklin

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,597 Views)

Hi Franklin,

IMAQdx can also operate with USB cameras that are DirectShow compatible.  To be able to control attributes in LabVIEW, those attributes must be published to DirectShow.  All of these attributes will appear in Meausrement & Automation Explorer as options to change under the Camera Attributes tab.  Do the attributes that you are looking to change appear here?  Thanks.

Regards,

Kira T

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,589 Views)

Yes, these attributes appear in Meausrement & Automation Explorer and can be changed under the Camera Attributes tab.  Please give me more detailed information about how to change them by the LABVIEW instead of Meausrement & Automation Explorer.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,579 Views)

Hi 

If its like so, you can use the property node to set your attributes. Found here

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,577 Views)