Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is any chance to install a standalone SVE Shared Variable Engine?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!

I wrote a small application that reads values from a NetworkVariable created on local machine. The address of this variable is something like \\127.0.0.1\system\test1

As I can see, I can use this kind of variable (i mean system-based) only if I've installed a SVE (through Measurement Studio). But to install Measurement Studio I need Visual Studio too.... Smiley Sad

There is any way to work correctly with system-based NetworkVariables without installing everything as I said before? Is the SVE responsible for correct working of NetworkVariables? In this case, there is any chance to install a standalone SVE Shared Variable Engine?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,450 Views)

Hi KarpeDiem,

Thank you for posting on NI forum.

If you are referring to the need of install another development system on the target machine, you shouldn't be forced to do it. You have to distribute your source code with additional device drivers which let your application to run fine.

In this way you'll provide to make available all software components your application needs.

Have you already performed this step? Did you encountered any issue while your attempts? Let me know if i could help you or provide for additinal suggestions.

Have a nice day.

Matteo
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,427 Views)

Thank you for the answer. The problem is that I don't know how to provide necessary drivers to distribute my application. For what is in my knowledge, in order to run a local NetworkVariable I need a Shared Variable Engine. At the moment I'm able to install this component through Measurement Studio installation (which in turn is on top of MicrosoftVisual Studio). There is another simpler way to install this component?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,422 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author karpediemnow

I found the solution from NI MeasurementStudio 2008 help:

Server Deployment

In this scenario, you need to deploy the Shared Variable Engine to another machine that acts as the server. To deploy the Shared Variable Engine, you must run a separate installer on the target machine. The required installer is installed with Measurement Studio to the [InstallDir]\ Redist\NINETVARSERV folder.

You can view all command line options for running the installer with setup.exe /?. From the command line options, you can choose to run the installer silently.

You can use Variable Manager to create and configure network variables on the server. Variable Manager is installed by default. To run the installer without installing the Variable Manager, run the setup.exe /prop VARMANEXCLUDE=1 command. To run the Shared Variable Engine installer silently and without the Variable Manager, run the setup.exe /q /acceptlicenses yes /prop VARMANEXCLUDE=1 command.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,398 Views)

Hi Karpediem,

I'm glad to hear that you confirmed my first thoughts by investigating Measurement Studio's Help.

If you need additional informations about SVE, please refer to the following document:

Using the LabVIEW Shared Variable

Let me know if you need additional help.

Have a nice day.

Matteo
Message 5 of 5
(4,392 Views)