cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving a Stepper motor with NI-9503 and cRIO-9035

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm a student from the University of Auckland currently working on a project that requires the use of PWM Stepper motor driver (NI-9503) which is connected on cRIO-9035. This is to drive a two-phase stepper motor (NEMA 17) which is part of the MK8 3D print extruder.  

I've gotten the NI soft motion module and such and have successfully compiled and run the 9503 Stepper Drive (Torque Smoothing Coeff). The motor driver can be enabled but it only jitters when I change values in the drive configuration tab. I have been researching on topics related to this but I could not find examples that I can study on.

The goal for this section of my project is basically being able to alter and control the speed of the stepper motor through LabVIEW. I really appreciate any help you can provide. Please let me know if any other information of the project is required.

Best regards,

Lucas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,120 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lobstergeee

Dear Lobstergeee,

Have you tried to run the example project? In LabVIEW go to File >> Create Project >> Sample Projects >> SoftMotion >> Stepper Drive (NI 9503).

Seeing how that is setup and if you can get it to run correctly would be your best next step.

Thank you,

Alyssa H.

National Instruments

Message 2 of 4
(4,090 Views)

The softmotion example project (LV2018) for NI-9503 and cRIO-9035 uses a scan engine to communicate between LV-RT and FPGA..

Does this mean that one cannot use FPGA Read/write operations to custom logic added to the fpga project?

Or stated otherwise can scan engine and RT - FPGA io co-exist?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,460 Views)

Dear Alyssa, 

Hello, I want to know how to download the example of NI 9503, I want to study it! If you have, Can you provide it to me? Thanks!

LiuMing

Just for fun!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,505 Views)