Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ from multiple microphones connected to sound card

Hello to all!

{I'm rather new to this so please a) forgive me if I misplaced my post (plz, move it to the correct topic!), b) ANY help would be tremendously appreciated!}

Say I've got 3 microphones connected to this sound card, which has a USB output port. 

If I plug it in in my laptop's USB port, using LabVIEW 2015, will I be able to "see" each microphone seperately?

Assuming Windows recognize the USB sound card as an external device, will each seperate microphone be "selectible" as an input ready for processing inside the program? For example:

sound card --> "dev0"

mic #1 -->"a0"

mic #2 -->"a1"

mic #3 -->"a2"

- (huge) OR - 

do I need to find another way to connect the sound card outputs (not USB, line-out perhaps) as inputs to a NI DAQ device, e.g. NI 9234?

I hope this is clear enough so anyone with experience on the matter could shed some light to my case!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,682 Views)

Have you tried the sound input vi's?

The sound format cluster of configure input migth run with more than 2 channels 😉 

Never tried it with more than 2 channels..  also try to read all channels (8,16,?) and just use the ones wired....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2 of 6
(3,645 Views)

Thank you for the reply!

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Have you tried the sound input vi's? 

Generally yes, but only using my laptop's microphone as an input device.

Indeed you can work seperately with two channels (left & right), but I think it's gonna be a bit different with the external (usb) sound card. Or not?!

The problem is that I first need to know if this is going to work before I go on and buy the sound card & mics. 

I will probably have to test this first with a borrowed one...

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,622 Views)

Well, depending on what you want to do, maybe a 'real' data aquisition unit migth be a better choice 😉

What type of microphones do you plan to use?  Needed traceability?

The soundcard isn't really well supported by LabVIEW and depends on the OS ..  (for example no real ASIO driver)

However, depending on the the distributor of your hardware, you can ask for a test/return option...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 4 of 6
(3,605 Views)

From what I found out it seems that the device you have supports ASIO mode, and there are some people who have successfully accessed their sound cards using this method.

You can read more here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/ASIO-interface-for-LabView/td-p/3054773

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Has-anyone-written-an-ASIO-sound-card-VI/td-p/405683

https://www.zeitnitz.eu/scms/waveio

I am not too familiar with the topic, so unfortunately I cannot help you more 😞

Message 5 of 6
(3,601 Views)

Thank you both!

I guess I'll have to study a bit more about the subject! (First time I hear of the term "ASIO"...)

I'll come back, hopefully with useful news!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,584 Views)