Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an AT-MIO-64E-3 card that locks up my computer

Solved!
Go to solution
This card was returned from NI with a no trouble found report. I attempted to run a calibration on the card and my system locks up. Even in Measurement and Automation if I try and run the test panel it locks up. The service request number was 1307467 and the repair order number was 177410. A second card was sent in at the sametime (repair order number 177409) and it calibrates fine. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,566 Views)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the post and I hope your well.

Have you contacted them NI Austin regarding this issue - the SR which was opened by an AE should have got back to you regarding what do to - if they did, what were their advice?

Otherwise I'd like to ask you many many questions,

1) What OS? and computer specifications?

2) Have you tried this on another machine?

3) This other device works on the same machine which the previous fail?

4) What version of the driver are you running?

5) Does the NTF device run properly when not being calibrated?

6) How do you recover from the lock up? 

7) Have you asked to send the card to your AE to test? -  I wonder if in the repair process if the device is tested in calibration mode..

Please get back to me if would like me to try to help - just to note I am an AE from the UK.

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
Message 2 of 7
(3,562 Views)

Hi James,

I have about fifteen of these cards on the production floor, I pull them and bring them back to the Cal Lab and test them all on the same computer. One of the engineers here sent two cards back for repair, when they came back he brought them to me for calibration. I've calibrated about three other cards in the last month so I'm fairly sure my system works. One of the two cards works fine but the second doesn't do anything. I have to kill power to my computer to get the NI programs to close. Thanks for any help you can provide. Jim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,558 Views)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update.

So can you please confirm that the card is functional - input.output signals? for example, shorting ai0 to aignd and reading ai0 in RSE mode?  This should result in a reading of 0 V.  

Does the machine only lockup when you click to calibrate? .. would it be possible to test this on another machine?

What type of calibration are you performaning? 

Also, do you have the name of the AE in Austin who delt with your service request, I wouldn't mind discussing this issue with them. But I would strongly suggest getting back in touch with them. They should be able to test the card for you.. it could be that in the repair process the card wasn't tested (calibrated) in the same way, and therefore passed..

I look forward to your reply,

James

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Message 4 of 7
(3,545 Views)

I'm using Calibration Executive to calibrate the card, but it also locks up my computer when I use Measurement and Automation. When I first open Measurement and Automation I can select the card and it shows me the serial number but if I try and open the test panel it locks up. I wasn't the person who originally sent the unit in for repair so I'm not sure who was handling the problem from Austin. I've inherited the problem now and I guess I'll have to contact Austin myself. Jim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,543 Views)

I would also like to add that you should check out the following KB and follow the steps outlined.  This might help, if it doesn't please contact NI Support.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/426B0C7D6EEEF35086256BC80079CAFA

Thank you

Charley Dahan

Global Account Manager
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,532 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Jim_Vaspoli

Hi Jim (and Charles),

I am not sure that your issue here is related to having any problems with the PCI  slot, damged DAQ driver etc. If this is purely that other cards (of the same type) can be calibrated by the same setup (machine/drivers) and your following the same producer for this one AT-MIO card - which then freezes this is clearly a fault with the device. 

I have seen lots of advice for debugging if the machine can't see any AT-MIO cards - but if it works for 5 out of the 6 for example - then I for one can't see any reason why the 6th card wouldn't work - unless it was damaged. 

I would strongly suggest getting in touch with Austin, example the situation and maybe suggest sending your card to them to test - if they can reproduce it then there's no doubt it will be fixed for you! 

One final point - does the AT-MIO work with say LabVIEW/CVI ? You said the test panel crashes but does the computer freeze when any program trys to access the device? I'd also be interested to know if in windows device manager if the card is detected (on the faulty one).

I am sorry I cant be more of a help over the net.

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Message 7 of 7
(3,509 Views)