Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to use an Omron E6C2-CWZ6C rotary encoder with a NI-USB 6343 Multifunction DAQ

Forum members and gurus,

I have an Omron E6C2-CWZ6C rotary encoder and I want to make sure that it is safe to use with an NI-USB 6343 Multifunction DAQ.  I have attached the encoder's data sheet.

I've searched the forum and my main concern is that the output sink current of the encoder is 35mA max, which exceeds the sinking current limit of 16mA on the 6343.  However, I came across a post that said "this should not be a problem because the input impedance of the PFI lines is 20 kOhm minimum"...leading to an input current of less than 0.25mA going through the DAQ (If I use a 5V supply).

Is this truly the case or do I need some external instrumentation?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Best regards,
Brown

The more I know...the more I don't know
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,042 Views)

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately I cannot affirm that it's safe to use it as I'm not very familiar with the rotary encoder you're using. From the information you provided it seems to be safe. I checked the specifications sheet and the PFI line does indeed have a minimum 20kOhm pull-down input resistance, so with a 5V voltage the current shouldn't be larger than the limit.

Hope this helps.

Tarek B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(3,019 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I have everything working properly now.

Cheers,

-MB

Best regards,
Brown

The more I know...the more I don't know
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,983 Views)