Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6110 , 6711 synchronized AO only works with 1ch on 6110

Hello. 

I was wondering if you were able to find a replacement card? Is there anything further that I should test in the meantime? I've been able to work on other things for awhile, but we were hoping to soon find some way to get these two cards to properly synchronize. It seems like they should be able to do so; indeed, the RTSI bus is meant for this. Thanks again for your help. 

Regards,

Dan H. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(822 Views)

Hello Dan,

You'll be pleased to know we finally had PCI-6110E become available.  I've got the hardware in my workstation, and I'll be able to work on this issue again.  

Thank you so much for your patience.

Matthew H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(815 Views)

Thank you very much for the update. I look forward to finding out how the testing goes. As always, please let me know if you need any further information from me or testing on my part. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(806 Views)

Hello DanCA,

Even though the RTSI cable is physically present, if the clock signal isn't explicitly exported to RTSI and if the other device doesn't explicitly look to the RTSI cable for the signal, neither device will share anything.  I have to apologize here, this is something I should have noticed early on.

Attached you will find a small program that roughly mimics the signal generation performed by your code, while ensuring that the two cards are using the RTSI cable to sync-up.  The key is the "Export Signal" node that accepts a sample clock from the "Master" and exports that signal on RTSI 0.  It isn't the prettiest LV code, but from the tests I've run it does the trick.

On my test setup, I read the output of the two cards with an X-series Multifunction DAQ to ensure that their output was synchronized.

Thank you so much for your patience on this issue.

Matthew H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 14 of 16
(794 Views)

Thanks again for following up on this (and sorry for the delay in my response). I apologize for asking about this again, but I was trying to open the VI you posted, and could not do so. My copy of LabVIEW said there was a version conflict. Apparently the posted file is for version 11 and I am presently using Labview 2010 (version 10) at newest. If it is not too much trouble, could you please re-save this VI as a version 10 VI?

And one follow-up question: in my own code, as noted in my first post, I was able to get synchronization between the 6110 and 6711 cards, though I could only do this with one output channel on the 6110 (and either of one or two output channels on the 6711); using a 2nd output channel on the 6110 caused synchronization to be lost between the boards - it was this limitation that I was trying to fix. In order to even get to that point, though, where a single 6110 AO channel was synchronized with the 6711, I did use a DAQmx Timing property node to share one of the card's 20MHz timing base signals (with the other card set to use the shared timebase) and I had an RTSI bus cable set up (physically present, and configured in Measurement & Automation Explorer). This cable was the only direct connection between the 6110 and 6711 cards and the synchronization only worked when I had the DAQmx Timing Property nodes in the code to share the timebase - so it would seem that my two cards were already successfully sharing the timing signal over the RTSI bus. It was just that adding a 2nd AO channel to the 6110 caused this sharing to stop for some reason. Will this new code address that issue as well? Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(770 Views)

The code has been downconverted for LV 8.6.1.

Best regards

Matthew H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(759 Views)