Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6221 Sample Clock rate

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello guys!

Considering this :

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4167

With DAQmx, the sample clock rate (for Analog input and output) can be changed after the start has been called[...]

Hardware Model: PCI-6221 (37-Pin), PCI-6221

Why does it generates me an exception when I try to change a task timing when the task is already started? It works fine on a serie X (6321) but it fails on a 6221.

Test method TestDevices.IODevices.Tasks.AIAOTest.ChangeReadingDelayOfAnInputTask threw exception:
NationalInstruments.DAQmx.DaqException: Specified property cannot be set while the task is running.

Set the property prior to starting the task, or stop the task prior to setting the property.

Property: NationalInstruments.DAQmx.Timing.SampleClockRate

Task Name: _unnamedTask<43>

Status Code: -200557

It is stated in the above document that it's supposed to work on a 6221. Is there something I missed?

Thanks in advance for you enlightenment.

PL

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,960 Views)

I'm afraid that doc is (at least partly) wrong.  I haven't done much exploring on recent versions of DAQmx, but I *am* sure that M-series boards did *not* allow a direct change in sample clock rate on a running AI task as of DAQmx 8.0

I'm also sure that such a rate change *was* allowed for AO tasks.  Further, it was also quite possible to change an AI sample rate *indirectly* by using a separate continuous pulse train task as the AI task's sample clock.

If it's an AI task throwing the exception, that's expected for M-series boards.  It's actually news to me that X-series supports such a feature - cool!   If it's an AO task throwing the exception, then I for one am surprised and hopefully someone else can enlighten you further.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 5
(2,941 Views)

Thanks Kevin for your input. That's what I think too, I'm just waiting for an official answer from NI.

It's indeed on an Analog Input task, so I'm experiencing exactly what you are saying.

Have a nice day!

PL

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,930 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author plg

Hi plg,

What Kevin said is correct. The sample rate property can be changed during AO tasks but not AI tasks for E, M  or S series devices. I'll take a look at the document that you linked and make the appropriate edits. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Paul M

National Instruments | Applications Engineer | www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,924 Views)

Excellent!

Many thanks for the confirmation.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,921 Views)