cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Serial Data Acquired from a DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I have acquired data transmitted from a serial port using an NI USB-5132 on the same computer. I would like to read this data to recover the original string sent. How can I do this please? 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,129 Views)

Hi Danilson,

A digitizer isn't the best device to use to read serial communication. If you do you have to consider things like baud rates and paraties etc.. it's very complicated. Whereas, if you use a device capable of serial communication you can use the visa functions like on the Serial_write VI you attached.

I recommend changing what hardware you're using. Something like the NI-PCI-843/16 (RS232) would be good, but there are other products that will work, just search on the website.

Kind regards

Rico P
Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 4
(3,087 Views)

Hi Rico P,

Thanks for your reply.

I need to observe the signal just before the data is recovered. So far, I haven't found any device that enables me do that. I'm not sure the NI PCI-8430/16 (RS232) is capable of that. Any suggestions then?

Danilson 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,073 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Danilson
Exactly what do you mean by 'observe the signal' and why do you need to do this? If you need to perform some sort of parametrics on the signal (i.e. amplitude, rise time, etc), then you can connect the scope and use the NI product or any inexpensive USB-RS232 ($10-$20) converter to get the data.
Message 4 of 4
(3,060 Views)