cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb 6009 has stopped working.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I was using a usb 6009 to switch on or off a transistor when two digital signals were read on pins 0.0 and 0.1. The usb 6009 has now stopped working and isnt flashing or showing up on my laptop or other computers. The +5 volt pin was connected accidently for a split second to the ground of another 5 volt supply suppling 220mA, would this have damaged the device? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,276 Views)

All it takes is a split second. I would feel pretty certain in saying the device was destroyed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,271 Views)

I measured afterwards and there was only 2 volts on the ground line at the time, would that have destroyed the device or is there any chance that its a problem that can be fixed? The ground line was connected to the ground terminal of the other device at the time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,267 Views)

I don't know if the input is fused or not. In any case, you would need to contact NI about that and set up an RMA.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,265 Views)

Yeah, i'd say it's toast.  Doesn't take a lot of current to fry them.

Personally, I'd buy two more 600x's rather than RMA'ing the one you have.  They're cheap, and you're going to spend more time trying to get the one you have fixed than you will just buying a new one.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,261 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for your posts here. Philip90, if you contact your local NI Branch, we will be able to either troubleshoot further (although this sounds pretty conclusive) or arrange for repair if you would like.

Many thanks again to all of you,

Liam

Liam A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,252 Views)

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your help, I have discussed it with my boss and I'm just wondering does anyone know what the ball park figure for cost of repair might be in comparison with buying a new one? Should add this is for a college so the academic discount will apply!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,234 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Philip90

Hi all,

Thanks again for all your help. I got a response from the technical team on a cost for repair so I can see what the boss says.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,207 Views)