Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I disable the automatic NC Marker in a multi-part packagect in multi-part packages

Solved!
Go to solution

Reference the attached (incomplete) schematic example.

D2A and D2B are configured at clamping doides.  In the package for the diodes, the cathode of D2A is internally connected to the anode of D2B.  When I wire this in multisim, as soon as I make a connection to one of these pins, a NC Marker is placed on the other pin.  My issue is that while the connectivity is correct, it looks like D2A has a floating cathode.

Similarly with D1A and D1B which are configured as back-to-back diodes.  D1B's anode seems to be floating even though it is connected to the node closest to it.  I tried using the "Toggle NC Marker" tool and while it removed the X, a circle with a slash remains and I cannot connect the net to the pin.

I realize that this seems like just an aesthetics issue, but schematics should be unambiguous.  Is there a way to change this so that the no connect isn't overriding the net?

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,037 Views)

Hello,

Normally not, it's there for simulation purposes. BUT, there is a little trick if you want it all nice looking for print outs. Delete the diode with the "no connection" pin. And go to the component placing window. Place the same component down and when it asks you to choose a section (because it's a multi-section component), choose a new reference (So do not pick D2A when D2B is already taken, instead create a new component section A for a component reference D3A. Wire it up, then double click on the component, and rename the RefDes to D2A, and voila, wired section. This might create some problems for routing and simulation so I only recommend it for schematic purposes.

Kind regards,

Miguel V
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,001 Views)

I'm not really concerned about simulations.  However schmatics need to unambiguously document a layout and while the netlist will generate correctly, it still bothers me.  This is the first cad package I have used that did this.  

Tim 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,996 Views)
Solution
Accepted by EDL1

I'll take this into account and add it as a requested feature.

Thanks,

Miguel V
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,978 Views)
Greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tim
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,976 Views)