Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluating Ultiboard with Multisim

I am currently evaluating Ultiboard.  My only experience with designing PCBs is using ExpressPCB.  Using Express PCB I could easily connect vias and the trace would snap to them.  With my evaluation version I can't even use the connection machine.  Is this feature disabled?  Follow me doesn't allow me to connect two vias either because it avoids everything on the board.  This leaves me with using the line tool.  That's fine, but it doesn't snap to the vias. 

How can I be 100% sure that the trace connects both vias? 
Is there a node testing feature that will highlight everything that is connected to something that I select? 
Why doesn't my connection machine work? 
Why is print disabled? 
Why did the tear drop feature only work once and now won't finish the remaining vias I have added? 
How do I perform a final check to make sure that the design is ok?

Thanks.
Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,192 Views)

When you are manually routing your board and want to go to a different layer, press F2 (this switches to the previous active layer) or click on the desire layer in the Design toolbox, Ultiboard will automatically place a via for you.

The connection machine is active only if you have a netlist, you need to select Place >> connection machine and click on the ratsnest to use this feature.

If you are not able to control where to pace traces, change your grid settings.  Edit-->Properties-->Grid and Units, where you see Component grid, there is an arrow in thisfield, click on it and you will see 4 options, I like to set them all to be on the same grid size with a small grid step, this will give you very good contol.

Answers to your questions:

1.  If you see the trace on a via, they are connected.

2.  There is a connectivity check under Design>> connectivity check, you have the option to check 1 net or the entire design.  You should always use this at the end of the design.

3.  Connection machine and follow me router only work if you have a netlist, Ultiboard needs to know what pin connect to each other.

4.  I see the problem for via, the pad seems to allow you to use the teardrop feature again.

5.  Your final check should include DRC and connectivity check both options are under the Design Menu

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,146 Views)

but, the design rule check shows all the nets perfectly, the follow me router and connection machine are not working and they are disabled. And other thing noted is that the dimensions tab is disabled when connection machine and follow me router is enabled and dimension tab is disabled connetion machine and follow me router is enabled. Cant the both dimensions tab and connection machine, follow me router be seen enabled at a time...... 

this time, if i want to trace manually using line, instead of trace line it only draws silkscreen lines.. how to overcome both above issues...

advance thanks... hope the help from ni team.. bye.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,004 Views)

my problem solved ... its selecting the layers ... thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,918 Views)