Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I copy and paste an on-sheet connector without the name changing?

Solved!
Go to solution

Any way to do this?

If not it would be a very nice feature to add.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,324 Views)
Solution
Accepted by dbur

dbur,

Thanks for giving us an easy one this time...  🙂   The feature does exist (although its not default).   Copy the On-Page Connector (Ctrl+C) and instead of a straight paste (Cntrl+V), you can do a (Cntrl+Shift+V) - or go to Edit -> Paste Special -> Paste without Renaming On-Page Connectors to accomplish the same thing.   This will duplicate the On-Page Connector and also copy the net information as well.

I've advised R&D that if users are copying an existing On-Page that the default behavior should be changed to allow the same Connector/Net copy to be placed in multiple locations (without renaming it to a new On-Page Connector).  If you also think this should be the default case, let us know!   R&D was 'playing it safe' to eliminate the chance that a duplicate connection would be made unintensionally.

Regards,

- Pat

Message 2 of 5
(6,319 Views)

Yes, keep them the same by default!   That's the way it works now for global sheet connectors, though I would think they are more dangerous.

Thanks for the tip.  I tried various things like holding cntrl down but didn't stumble on the right one.  Sometimes I want to clone 10-20 at a time and this will make it much easier.

Message 3 of 5
(6,313 Views)

dbur,

Yes global connectors, when copied, preserve the name and attached net.  

For local on-page connectors the current default is to create a unique label and not preserve the net information.  I will pass your feedback along to R&D as I agree that the use case you described (of copying 10-20 and sprinkling them around the schematic to create common connections) is the one I was thinking would be the most common for a copy/paste action.   If you are creating a new on-page connector from the menu, then the behavior should be to give a unique name.

Appreciate the feedback.

Regards,

Pat  N

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,307 Views)

I agree, that should be the case.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,598 Views)