NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POSIX and NI RT Operating Systems

I'm pretty enthused about NI Linux and I am just wondering whether or not it supports the POSIX standard (I assume so)?  How does this compare to the version of Pharlap and VxWorks employed by NI?

Jordan McBain, PhD
LabVIEW Controls Engineer
Revolutionary Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,316 Views)

@JordanJMcBain,

GNU/Linux is mostly POSIX-compliant.  The Linux kernel supports the Linux Standard Base (LSB), which is mostly-compliant with POSIX and the UNIX standards.  You can find a discussion about the ISO/IES 9945 (POSIX) standard and the LSB that was started back in 2003 at this link

Since NI Linux Real-Time utilizes the Linux kernel, and none of the Linux distributions (to my knowledge) are fully-certified as POSIX-compliant, I would say that NI Linux Real-Time is mostly POSIX-compliant as well.  There may be some small cases where POSIX standards do not match up with the Linux kernel, but these will be present in any distribution of GNU/Linux and not just NI Linux Real-Time.

Short answer: mostly!  Let me know if you have any further questions!

Quick Edit:

With regard to your second question, VxWorks and Pharlap ETS are single-mode operating systems that do not allow much interactivity with a target running these operating systems.  You are able to send some commands to the system via a serial connection, but these commands are limited and it is best to think of the systems as a running executable.  They are built with a singular functionality in mind, whereas NI Linux Real-Time is built to allow interaction with the system as well as the applications running on the system.

| Zach J. | Systems Engineer, HIL and Test Cells | National Instruments |
Message 2 of 2
(2,853 Views)