NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebDAV Performance in Windows 7

We found the performance in Windows 7 of WebDAV to be painful so far to use. A Google search found a solution that makes it usable:

http://oddballupdate.com/2009/12/fix-slow-webdav-performance-in-windows-7/

Not sure if this is something that NI can address, or just a Windows 7 specific issue.

Message 1 of 3
(5,754 Views)

Hi Graham,

When you say that WebDav Performance in Windows 7 is poor what WebDAV client are you using which is resulting in this poor performance? In LabVIEW 2013, their is a WebDAV Client API of which I've referenced a simple put/get example below and from my testing I observed transfer rates ranging from ~ 18-23 MB/sec on our internal GigE network.

front panel.png

block diagram.png

If you do not wish to develop your own WebDAV client in LabVIEW for these purposes, another solid WebDAV client is Cadaver. To run Cadaver on Windows you will need Cygwin. During the Cygwin installion you will need to add cadaver from the web related selections to add that support.

If your observed poor WebDAV client performance is specific to a Windows client (say IE), then there is little NI will be able to do to improve the situation other than to suggest alternative WebDAV clients, or for NI to suggest workarounds such as the one you pointed out earlier.

If you have any further questions please let me know. Have a nice weekend!

Blayne

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,402 Views)

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was using WebDAV as a mapped network drive in Windows 7. We found the performance of this method to be very slow just for file transfers. That is, until you perform the steps in the link I posted. Although they appear to be settings in Internet Explorer, it seems they apply to Windows Explorer as well for mapped drives.

I tried WebDAV through the LabVIEW API and you're correct, it does seem much better. I think it's just a Windows thing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,402 Views)